Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

How do you change the output speed sonsor on a 08 ford edge awd?

Customer Question

how do you change the output speed sonsor on a 08 ford edge awd?
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 6 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

one moment

snapontech :

This is located on the transmission to gain access you will need to get the car jacked up with it in the air you will locate the sensor there is one bolt and 1 electrical connector remove the bolt which is a 10mm then disconnect the electrical connector

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

the electrical connection is inside the transmission

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

already located the sensor, there is a big cover that the sensor is bolted to, what I am wondering, when this is removed, is there any parts that are going to fall out, springs, etc.?

snapontech :

No

snapontech :

This sensor will not have anything attached to it

snapontech :

When you remove the bolt it will come out and then you can replace it of thats what your planning on doing

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

the end of the transmission needs to be removed to get to the electrical connection!

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

again, there is no wires or electrical plug exposed on the outside, the connection is inside the tranny

snapontech :

it should have a cable going to it

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

to the wire connection?

snapontech :

There is nothing that will come out when you remove the output speed sensor I have removed it and replaced them they use a magnetic field signal to send the information to the PCM

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

how do you get to the wire connection where it is plugged in?

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

wires are inside the transmission

snapontech :

You wont have to just remove the sensor and plug it back in

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

how do you plug it back in when the fing wires are inside the transmission!!!!!

snapontech :

I have no images of this and have never had a problem if the wire is inside the transmission then when you remove the sensor they will come up so you can put them onto the new sensor

JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4- :

forget it

snapontech :

I will opt out

snapontech :

Maybe someone knows what your talking about

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Why is the OSS (Output Speed Sensor) being replaced?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-mss2mjy4,

-What else have you already tried?

-If you need I can send complete replacement instructions directly from Ford.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the vehicle slams hard into gear, speedo is not working, vehicle does not shift. when scanned it came up as the output speed sensor. the wiring for the sensor is inside the transmission, there is no wire connection on the outside of the sensor.

there is about a 6" lead of wire on the new sensor with the plug on the end, which is plugged in somehow inside the transmission.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anyone out there that that knows how to change the sensor on an 08 EDGE AWD? why I am changing it doesn't matter! The question is HOW!
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The replacement instructions are below. See diagrams below. Just wanted to make sure, the right part was being replaced.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphicgraphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry, to late, I went to the local ford dealer this morning.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
I guess so. I have sent the information you requested.