Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 ford windstar: abs..light flashes all fluids good shifts fine..od

2001 ford windstar abs and...
2001 ford windstar abs and brakelight are on speedomoter and odomoter are non working and o/d light flashes all fluids good shifts fine into and out of od in manual or auto
7/4/2011
snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

Check fuse #10 10A in the interior fuse panel to be sure the fuse is in place and shows battery voltage on both sides. If the fuse is blown, replace and recheck operation. If the fuse blows when replaced, check for a leaking or shorted brake pressure switch in the master cylinder. Disconnect the switch connector looking for any brake fluid. If found, clean the connector and replace the brake pressure switch and recheck operation. This is a common issue so. Let me know if you have any questions. Please hit accept Have a great 4th Of JULY Danny!

Customer:

i will go out and check now just a min.

snapontech :

Ok

snapontech :

Please let me know if you need anything else. Hit Accept and if you still need help just go to my questions at the top

Customer:

#10 was a 15A? I say was because that is what the book said, but he lost it when he pulled it out.

snapontech :

Yeah it should be 10 but someone may have put a 15 in there before

Customer:

The manual says 15A

snapontech :

Thats odd because I show it to be 10

snapontech :

Must be a typo in the system database

snapontech :

But yes # XXXXX is the one we are after

snapontech :

This controls the system thats malfunctioning

Customer:

how do you get the connector off, is there a tab on bottom or squeeze or what

snapontech :

for the brake pressure switch

Customer:

yes on the side of the master cyl. it is kind of buried under the cowling and hard to tell

snapontech :

Yes there is a release

snapontech :

Full Size Image

snapontech :

If you remove the engine air cleaner its easier to get at

snapontech :

There should be a clip you will push then pull off

Customer:

ok

snapontech :

These are 100% sure the issues with this van so if you can please hit accept I would appreciate it. If you need further assistance after hitting accept you can access the question under my questions at the top and reply for free. Thanks Danny

Customer:

ok both ends of connector are dry, replaced fuse same thing any other things to check and i will hit accept

snapontech :

The problem is the brake switch is bad that you removed the connector from I have you the steps to check everything else

snapontech :

You will have to replace that switch

Customer:

and that fixes the speedomoter as well?

snapontech :

Yes

snapontech :

This is a common problem if the fuse is good and wiring is good then the switch is 100% bad!

Customer:

ok thanks for the help I will do that and when it works I will give a good review and will hit accept now thanks again

snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic

do you happen to have a part number looking on autozone.com I can not locate the part

You have to get it through ford its called a Brake Switch (cruise control) they will know what your talking about Thanks
It has the same problem. after new part and wiring from ford
The problem is the speed sensor for the transmission. Its very hard to 100 percent diagnose the vehicle over the internet I try my best to be as accurate as possible I wish you would have held off on the feedback. But if brake pressure switch doesnt fix this issue than the only other thing is the vehicle speed sensor. Thanks
snapontech
snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic