snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Ford F-150 FX4 I have a 2005 ford f150 fx4 5.4. I was getting

I have a 2005 ford f150 fx4 5.4. I was getting four codes. P0119, P0325, P1289 and P128A. Truck was running like shit and the AC stopped working. The gauge would flash....."Check Gauges". I replaced two knock sensors and found one had a worn wire that was shorting out. I replaced the cylinder head temp sensor and the thermostat for the hell of it. Now after all that I am still getting two codes:P1289 and P0119. What the freaking hell?
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 6 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer

snapontech :

One moment while I read this over

snapontech :

did you replace the CHT sensor located on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head

Customer:

yes thats in my info

snapontech :

ok afterwards did you clear the codes?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

codes were back within 1 min

snapontech :

Ok then there is a problem with the wiring

Customer:

checked the harness... nothing was pinched

Customer:

or bare

snapontech :

The code P1289 is specific with that sensor either the wiring is bad or its with the engine coolant temp sensor but I dont thing so its more common to be within the wiring at the CHT sensor

snapontech :

This is common for rubbing threw at the head or getting frayed in the sub harness

Customer:

If the harness looked fine and there is now a new sensor where do the wires go from there?

snapontech :

Either there is a problem with the CHT sensor you replaced bad from the box I will check the wiring diagram right now

snapontech :

The problem is with the PCM then if the sensor is not bad and the wiring is good

snapontech :

Customer:

thats what I didnt want to hear, lol

snapontech :

one thing to do after replacement according to ford

snapontech :

did you get a oem sensor

Customer:

I had a diagnostic from ford and why would it not mention a problem with the pcm

snapontech :

Its less common to be a bad pcm

Customer:

yes

snapontech :

• ECTCHT sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and moisture)

• ECT/CHT sensor wiring harness is damaged (wiggle the wire harness and watch for a sudden change in the signal)

• PCM has failed

snapontech :

Those are the 3 causes for the code P1289

Customer:

that sucks. Thats why I replaced everything else first

snapontech :

I would try another sensor before going towards the pcm

snapontech :

You have done everything properly but I have gotten bad ones out of the box!

Customer:

would be nice if they pay the cost of the job

snapontech :

Did you do it or ford?

Customer:

Last time I went into ford it still had the knock code also. They did a knock test and it passed so they just shrugged there shoulders. Two months later the code was back and my warranty was out

Customer:

I did it this time

Customer:

Only pain was getting the manifold out.

snapontech :

What I would do if this was me get another sensor and harness they are cheap replace it again before looking at www.car-parts.com for a used PCM

Customer:

Is the harness easy to replace

snapontech :

Just to cover the bases then if the problem is still there get a cheap used PCM from the site above better price than any OEM place

snapontech :

Yes

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Ill do the job again.