Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced temperature blend door actuator. AC blows hot air.

I replaced my temperature blend...
I replaced my temperature blend door actuator, and now the ac blows hot air, What's the issue?
6/24/2011
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Ok. I just need to get up to speed on your problem.

Why did you replace the blend door motor?
Did you replace the one on the drivers side of the evaporator case next to the gas pedal?

Do you have manual AC controls or Electronic dual AC controls?

It was making a clicking noise behind the dash, a Ford dealership mechanic said to replace the temperature blend door actuator, so I did, the clicking is gone, but when I turned on the AC is started blowing hot air. A check of the AC system showed it was in the normal operating range.

Ok.

This may sound out of place, but first make sure the motor is plugged in. If it is, remove it and turn the temperature switch from hot to cold and see if the motor shaft moves. If the shaft moves. Take a screwdriver and see if you can manually move the door through the shaft hole opening where the motor bolts up. Turn the AC on and manually move the door, see if the temperature changes. You could have a broken blend door in the case. But this will verify if it is.

I have made sure it was plugged in, removed it, changed the temperature switch from hot to cold and the motor shaft does not move. I can manually move the door through the opening and the temperature changes.
You may have a bad motor. If you still have to old one, plug it in and see if it moves. But since your AC worked fine before you changed the motor, I would look at the motor.
I did and it doesn't work either. Could it be the manual temperature control dial? There is power to the motor.

Check for power on the GRAY/YELLOW striped wire at the motor with the key on. Also check for voltage on the DARK GREEN/ORANGE striped wire. The voltage on that wire should change when you move the temperature knob from cold to hot.

There's only power on the GRAY/YELLOW striped wire. ??????
Are you checking with a test light or a meter?

Test light

Ok. Do this test. Connect the test light to power and see if you have a good ground on The BLACK wire at the motor connector. If you do, the AC control head will have to be replaced. The control head is the AC control panel with the switches.
OK, had a good ground at the motor connector, the AC control panel is the 3 switches that select hot or cold air (center), set the control to AC, Defrost, vents, etc, (Right). and fan speed (Left), correct?

Yes. That is the AC control panel.

graphic

OK, thanks alot. I hope that does it.
Your welcome. Let me know if you need more help.
A. Penland