Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Fusion 2008 ford fusion wont start, just put gas in,

2008 ford fusion won't start...
2008 ford fusion won't start, just put gas in, got message to circle slowly for calibration, did that. Parked at daughters house and now car won't start. Did sys check and the only thing indacted was low oil pressure.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2011
Ford Mechanic: RJ, Ford Technician replied 11 years ago
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician

RJ :

Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer.

RJ :

Does the engine turn over normally ?

Customer:

This is the first time I have had this issue

RJ :

So the engine cranks over , but will not run ? Is that whats happening?

Customer:

No. I just hear clicking

RJ :

Is there a theft lamp on the dash that is flashing ?

RJ :

With the key in the run position?

Customer:

Yes, it always flashes when the engine is off

RJ :

When you turn the ignition to the run position the theft lamp should come on then go off. If the lamp is flashing the engine computer will not allow the engine to crank .

Customer:

When I turn the key I get clicking and all the normal lights come on as usual when the car starts

Customer:

I just tried again. I turned the key to start, waited for the theft lamp to go out and then turned the key again and it started.

RJ :

Great.

RJ :

Where you using the same key you normally use ?

Customer:

No, I used my spare key, should I try with the regular key

RJ :

Ok Which key where you using when the car would not start ? Try that one and see what happens.

RJ :

If it will not start then wait two minutes and try the other key.

Customer:

I tried the regular key and it started.

RJ :

So it now starts with both keys ?

Customer:

Yes, should I try again or is this possibly some fluke with the theft system

RJ :

Possibly a fluke, but likely something that will happen again. This could be caused by a failing transciever . This component reads the info from your key and sends it to the computer which allows the car to start. Testing this requires that a scanner by used to retrieve the fault codes which in turn will give a diagnostic path to follow. Is you car older than three years old ? If the vehicle has been in service less than three years and has less than 36000 miles it would still be under a factory warranty that would cover this type of a concern.

Customer:

I bought the car used in December, 2009. I ran the system check again and everything was ok. Should I get a new key?

RJ :

If you can verify that the car did not start with just the one key than that may be a good place to start. However you will need to have the new key programed to the car for it to work.

Customer:

So I should have the dealer perform the test and determine if it is the primary key that I use?

RJ :

You could program the key by yourself, if both of your current keys are functioning. You do this by inserting the first good key in the ignition turning to run, wait three seconds, then remove and insert the second good key turn to run for three seconds, then insert the new non programed key and turn to run this will program the new key for you . If this does not work then you will have to have a dealer program it for you.

Customer:

Is there any way that this information can be sent to me via email?

RJ :

The only way to know for sure if this is a key problem is for it to happen again, and then you can try your spare and see if the car starts. Keep in mind to wait two minutes in between attempts if the theft lamp is on and the car wont start.

RJ :

You can copy and paste it , then print it. I cannot send emails through this site.

Customer:

Thanks. Would this have anything to do with the theft system?

RJ :

Absolutely.

Customer:

Is there a way to have this checked?

RJ :

If the system is functioning than it will not show a current fault, however there will be a fault stored in the computer memory. This will help narrow down the fault, but in order to be certain of the concern the fault must be present during testing. I would try using your spare key only for a while, and see if the concern reoccurs. If not then the other key needs replaced. If the concern reoccurs then the failure is likely the transceiver in the car that reads the key code. Testing of the anti theft system can be done by your dealer and some high end aftermarket repair centers.

Customer:

Thanks

RJ
RJ, Ford Technician