Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford: wont start..i turned key 1/2 way forward and the security light…

Customer Question
hello...somethings wrong with the security...
hello...somethings wrong with the security key on my ford winstar(2000)it wont start at the momen.but in the past if i turned key 1/2 way forward and the security light wasnt blinking fast,it would start.But if i turn the key part way and light is blinking fast...no way its starting...what can i do to fix this problem...or even by-pass the silly security/key thing,that i have no use for what so ever.thanks for your reply...cant go with out my ford van for even one day,ill lose my new job
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2011
Ford Mechanic: RJ, Ford Technician replied 11 years ago
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer. The anti theft cannot be disabled , it is a internal part of the engine control system and cannot be bypassed. Testing this requires a scanner to determine if the engine computer is on line, and can read the key signal. If you have another key that has worked to start the car in the past try it and see if the car starts. If not you will need a scanner to start the proper testing of this system.
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician