Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Replace the waterpump on a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0L ohv engine?

How do you replace the...
How do you replace the waterpump on a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0L ohv engine?
6/8/2011
Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician

Brad B :

Hello:

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Brad B :

I am gathering the information needed on how to replace the water pump, please hold a few minutes.

Brad B :

The book time to do the repair is 2.8 hours.

Brad B :

Here are the torque specs;

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hi Brad,
Thanks for responding with instructions but the ones i need are for vin 'u' ohv engine, not the dohc engine.

Brad B :

Sorry for the confusion. Here is the directions for the correct engine.

REMOVAL CLICK HERE

INSTALLATION CLICK HERE

Brad B :

Here are the torque specs;

Full Size Image

Brad B :

The book time for this is 2.9 hours.

Customer:

Thanks for the directions.I was hoping it would tell you how to pass the waterpump out of the engine compartment but it doesn't. Would you know how this is done?

Brad B :

For the clearance the water pump should clear by turning it slightly to the middle of the engine (where the most clearance is seen) then pull it out.

Brad B :

You do not need to jack up the engine or anything. Some people have had success out the bottom but it's easier out of the top.

Brad B :

I'll try to find a video or detailed pictures to show the best way.

Brad B :

Here is a 5 part video to help;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3TL5Zi8KQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE4lhF5Aaeo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4N0Yu6VkZQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjpzTcpdNTE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1cSPVpfI0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OgQE_6Jhf8&feature=related

Make sure the water pump pulley is removed for easier clearance. Best way to remove the pulley is to loosen the bolts before you remove the belt. If all of the items in the removal instructions are removed it should come up with decent clearance.

Customer:

How is the drivebelt removed?

Brad B :

Heres some information to help with the belt removal,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjHRxUfCpU&playnext=1&list=PLE549568D56469EBB

Customer:

Thanks for all your help plus the videos.

Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Brad B
Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician