Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

1995 ford f-150: cab 4x4..automatic transmission..the shifter..column

I have a 1995 ford f-150 extend a cab 4x4 pickup. It has an automatic transmission, the shifter is on the column. All of a sudden the shifter arm does not shift. The arm flops around or hangs down. I can reach down by the brake pedal and move the linkage to shift the transmission. I assume a cable or rod is broken or worn. What is the problem and how do I get into the column to replace the part? Is the part strictly a dealer item?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the great question.

I have attached a part break down of the steering column. Can you point out what part you are seeing that might be broken or loose and let me know.

Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not taken any thing apart. I am not sure how to to loosen the column to lower it down. I am not sure how to get the cover off the column. If the shifter handle is part 7210, then that is what has come loose from something and is dangling or hanging down. It would appear that it would not take much force to pull it out of the hole in the column. There is now a gap and i can see wiring.

Thanks

Did you see any small bolts laying around or under the floor mat?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No

Thanks

Ok, take a flash light and get under the column where you can see where the shifter cable is at and where it attaches to the shifter column. Most cases, this is where the cable becomes detached from the column. There are usually 2 small bolts that can sometimes come out enough not to shift the cable. I have another picture below of this area. If this is the area you find the issue, you do not need to remove the column to repair. Put blue locktite on the bolts and re tighten and should be good to go.

Thanks

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if everything is intact at that place?

Thanks

If that all looks good under there at that spot, then most likely you will need to remove the entire column and before you do that, disable the air bag system. But lets make sure that the area around the shifter cable is good first.

Thanks