Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ford Mustang 95 Mustang. Engine wont start. Was running.

Customer Question
95 Mustang. Engine won't...
95 Mustang. Engine won't start. Was running. Giving it a shot of starting fluid gets the engine to run, but it dies when fluid is stopped. Feels like engine is not getting gas. We believe tank ran empty and we put two gallons of gas in tank. Any ideas
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/18/2011
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

kalamykid :

has the car been "bumped" or hit recently?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Not to my knowledge

kalamykid :

what size engine does this car have and is it a convertible?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

3.8 l two door coupe, not convertible

kalamykid :

do you know where the fuel shut of switch is?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

no

kalamykid :

open the trunk and it is mounted to the back panel of the trunk just to the right of the deck lid latch. check it to see if the little rrd button will push down please.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok my son-in-law is going to do it right now

kalamykid :

if it does push down then see if the car will start on its own please.

kalamykid :

it may take a few tries as the fuel pump has to build pressure back up first for it to start

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

the button was down. He tried starting anyway to be sure. still same problem

kalamykid :

have him hit the switch and see if the button will poop up. if it does have him push it back down and see if it will start.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, we di that and still no start. right now we are putiing jumper cables from another car, because we are starting to erun the battery down.

kalamykid :

One more easy test to do, this will take bothof you to do.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok shoot

kalamykid :

Have him get under the car near the gas tank and start hitting the bottom of the tank, when you hear him hitting on the tank try starting the engine while he is still hitting the bottom of the tank.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, I'll get back to you in a few

kalamykid :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, we tried that and still no start. We are getting a strong turn of the starter with the jumpers and checked the fuse in the enginne compartment for the fuelmpump, which I negelcted to mention, so that seems ok. My son-in-law asked if maybe we should put more gas in it. we put 2 gallons in when it happened .

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

A little more info. It's my grandaughters car. she sais that the car died when she got home. A little later she started it and it ran a few minutes the stopped. When I got home, I tried and nothing and the guage showed empty, making me think she ran it out of gas. Adding 2 gallons shouild have solved it. Could it be that the pump is gunked up becausae she let it get so low?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Are you still there?

kalamykid :

lets not add more to it just yet.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok

kalamykid :

do you or your son inlaw have a digital volt meter or a test light?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Yes, both

kalamykid :

have him use the test light to see if he has power to both wires at the fuel cut off switch please.

kalamykid :

Make sure to have the ignition switch in the on position.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok checking

kalamykid :

ty

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Ok, I tried and got no light on either side if the switch. I pulled it of and tried by piercing the wires also and neither side lit up. I also checked the fuse in the engine compartment again and it's good both sides

kalamykid :

let me look up the wire diagram to see if there is any common places for there to be a break in the wires to the shut off switch.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok. thanks

kalamykid :

on the fuel shut of switch what color wires do you have going to it? make sure to identify the strip color as well as the wire color please.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

boty solid, one brown and one green

kalamykid :

one should be dark green with a yellow strip and the other brown with a pink strip.

kalamykid :

rol the wire to make sure there is no strip please.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, we'll look again, may have to pell back some of the tape.

kalamykid :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, the one is green with yellow and the other is solid brown, no stripe

kalamykid :

the dark green wire with a yellow strip is the one we need to worry about for now, this is the power feed wire from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok question, can I jump from the fuel pump fuse to the wire to see if it works?

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

you can go straight from the batter to the brown wire with the shut off switch unplug to activate the fuel pump.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Ok that's going to take a few minutes to set it up. I'll get back to you

kalamykid :

ok

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok, I ran a wire from the positive on the battery to the brown side on the switch and made sure that my test light lit up on the out going side so that I know I had power coming out. We tried cranking it and still no start, after six tries.

kalamykid :

did you hear the fuel pump kick in?

kalamykid :

if not try doing the hitting on the tank and trying to start it again. With the fuel tank run low or out of gas the fuel pump may have gotten hot and needs a boost to get going again.

kalamykid :

If it does start, you will need to replace the fuel pump and fuel pump relay.

kalamykid :

If it does not start and you have run power to the brown wire at the switch the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

No I didn,t hear anything when I jumped the switch. We will try hitting the tank again. If I have to replace them, where would the relay be located?

kalamykid :

I will post a diagram of the engine compartment so you can see where it is mounted.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

ok thanks again, for all the good advice you have given me. I retired as a mechanic back when computerization was just starting, so I didn't want to fool around without some idea of what I was dealing with

kalamykid :

here is a diagram of the engine compartment. The fuel pump relay is mounted inside the constant control relay module and the whole module will have to be replaced.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid :

The relay is mounted on the front passanger side of the engine bay, just above the radiator.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Ok I got it. I know about removing the fuel pump and it looks like we will be able to do this ourselves.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

We are going out to try hitting the tank one more time. If not then I( guess we know what we have to do now. If you are still here, I'll let you know what happened.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Well we did the jump at the brown wire at the switch and it didn't start, so I guess we will be replacing the fuel pump. I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary, but I had that feeling from the start, but figured it was worth a try. Now I have to find out which pump it has. I see there are a couple that are shown for that year.

kalamykid :

Sorry for the delay. It sounds like the fuel pump has gone bad. the only problme is you did not hve power on the darkgreen with a yellow strip wire to the fuel shut off switch, so we still need to diagnose the cause. Let me know when you are ready to get to the lack of power problem and I will walk you through testing it.

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

Hey, if you happen to see this message, I apologize for not getting back to you. I mistakenly thought you had signed off. As far as the kill switch green wire, I am thinking that that control module is also bad. I jumped out a chevy vega years ago, by running a properly fused line from the ignition, to an electric pump on the firewall, bypassing the internal that was in the tank. I would like to do the same set up from the fuel pump fuse to the green wire on the kill switch. This way the safety features are still in the system. The car is good but has a lot of miles and she doesn't have a lot of money to throw into it. Do you think this could work?

JACUSTOMER-3pdyu0px- :

I will check back here later, in case you were able to answer, since I realize you are not on now. Thanks again for your excellent help.

kalamykid :

I would not bypass the relay as it does not keep the fuel pump running all the time.

kalamykid :

But if you have to bypass it make sure to use good wire that is the correct gauge.If yu use to small of a gauge wire it will get hot and can burn up the wire harness.