Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 40Years experiance with all makes and modles
5784781

Ford Lincoln LS How do I properly bleed the system when intalling

How do I properly bleed the system when intalling a coolant resevoir on a 2003 Lincoln LS 3.9 V8 engine? Resevoir has been changed and the engine keeps running hot and overheating. I wonder if there is air in the system or a thermostat issue.

Don Knight :

These engines are difficult to bleed but if you take your time it is not to bad.There is a bleeder valve by the left shock tower(drivers side).You need to open that to bleed the air out of the system.Open the fill cap on the center of the engine and fill the cooling system.Make sure to leave the bleader valve open.When the cooling system is full put the cap back on and start the engine with the heater on full blast.When coolant starts to flow outr of the bleader close it and check the dugas bottle to top off any coolant you may have lost.You may need to repete this procedure a couple of times to make sure all the air is out of the system.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How steady should the flow be before closing the flow be before closing the bleeder valve?

As long as there are no more air bubbles coming out of the bleeder valve the system is purged.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I wasn't giving it enough time.
You are welcome.If you need any more assistance just ask,Don