Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1996 Ford F250, 7.3L, 4x4, manual transmission. What is the

1996 Ford F250, 7.3L, 4x4, manual transmission. What is the rubber boot that is on the front drive axle, that goes from the front diff. to the transfer case? I've got a crack in that boot. Its got two metal hose clamps around it. What's the technical name for it? How bad is this rubber boot being cracked on this drive line? What will happen if I don't get it replaced? and where can I purchase one of these boots?

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What problems are you having?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The boot you are referring to is known as a slip yoke dust boot, and is designed to keep mud, dirt and debris from entering the the slip yoke which may cause binding. (see diagram below).

graphic

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks. If you need more help then let me know.