Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Ford E450 Econoline Ford 450 chassis RV. Truck has a battery

Ford 450 chassis RV. Truck has a battery isolator switch which I turn off if the RV is gonna be unused a while. Turn on isolator switch, start, engine starts immediately, then barely runs at idle for 10-30 seconds. Acc pedal does nothing. Then idle picks up and everything wortks fine. ??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

vehicles have computers, and these computers forget all learned memory when there is no power. It takes up to 2 weeks of driving for the vehicle to relearn the best operating strategy and run optimum and operate correct. This is why it runs and acts odd for a little while after starting the vehicle back up from a disconnect. The better option would be to leave the power connected and use a trickle charger to maintain the batteries.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Added a solar charger, and I leave the isolator switch on all the time now. But the problm persists. After sitting two weeks, the engine will turn over with gusto, crank almost immediately, then stumble and fuss for about 30 seconds. During this time, the foot pedal has no effect on the engine speed. Lots of dark smoke suggests it's running rich. After half a minute, it runs beautifully. Runs smooth on the road. Help!!