Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Egr valve not closing

Customer Question
egr valve not closing
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
4/20/2011
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Does it close if you pull the vacuum line off of it?
nothing happens when I pull off vacume line from evp
What I need you to do is pull the line off of the EGR, if the EGR stays open still then its bad and need to be replaced because its stuck open. It should close if the EVR was holding it open. Sounds like its stuck open.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
the egr;is new as is the evp;and evr
You are saying its not closing, pull the green line off of it (EGR) and see if it closes?
I pulled off the green vacume line and nothing;but whin I suck on the egr the iddle drops a lot
Then the EGR is not stuck open as you said.
the evr is getting vacume so I pulled the vacume off the egr and put vagume to egr and the iddle droped my anilizer codes 33 which says the egr valve is not openeng
If the idle drops, then the valve isnt stuck open, and the EVR is controlled by the PCM , if you have a good vacuum supply to it and no broXXXXX XXXXXnes to the EGR from it (EVR) then you most likely have a bad PCM.
I replaced the PCM
So you should have 12 volts at the EVR on the red wire and ground switching on the other wire from the PCM. If the PCM is new, then you need to look at the wiring from the PCM to the EVR.
when I test the plug on the evr one side is hot but when I put the tester from one post to the other the test light does not come on which telles me there is no ground inside the plug should there be
No, there should only be a ground when the PCM ground swiches it.
whats my next step and how do I check wirring
I would go back thru the pinpoint test..I have enclosed it for you. Start at DD1>

DOWNLOAD HERE
my code was 33 not 327
Its the same test. If you have a 1994, there should not be any 2 digit codes.
I .need to tell you what the van does. It starts and iddles fine but when I step on it it goes in the toilet.If I manually advance the timing it has lots of power but don't iddle well.I have replaced almost everything and I am very frustrated.The tests you gave me to do were beyond my tool selection.Ithink it is a California emminois.The sticker says this vecile conforms to us EPA and California regulations appicable to 1994 model year new light duty trucks introduced into commerce soley for sale in California.OBD-I certified.The PCM unit I bought was for California.The van is a conversion van but I don't think that makes any difference.
Yes it is CA emissions. Timing should be set at 10 BTDC with the SPOUT removed ans should advance up to 32 degrees depending on load. If you suspect the EGR, unplug it the vacuum line and try it, it dosnt sound like EGR to me. Have you check fuel pressure?

Have you checked to see if you have no restricted exhaust?
I've ben going with my code witch is a cheep one witch seems to give a 2 noumber code.No Ihave not checkcd the fuel presure.The gye I got it from said he replaced the fuel pump but could not get it to run after.I got it to run by resetting fuel shut off.I might add that if I slam it hard it will backfire through the intake.
Well I would go back to basic here if it where I, you need 35 to 45 PSI of fuel pressure, I would also monitor timing when the SPOUT is plugged in, also recheck for exhaust restrictions.
I forget to mention that I gutted the catillic converter.I did check the timming with the SPOUT connected and it addvanced a lot but I did not measure how much.
OK, it should go fro 10 to about 32 max.

I would also check fuel pressure when its is stumbling
Do I need any special tools to check fuel presure.
You will need have a fuel pressure gage and install it on the fuel rail service port on the drivers side of the injector rail.
I'm sorry Ron.I'm dragging my feet cause it's snowing outside and it's damm near may.I'll have to go to town to rent or buy something to check fuel presure.It is 60 miles one way so it may be a whyle.I think I'll buy you a beer while I'm there maybe 2 or 3.Sorry but I'll have to drink them for you they would get warm you know.
LOL, I understand. Have a few for me, Ill be here when you need me.
i'm back.The fuel presure is only like 6# XXXXX XXXXX fuel pump the problem or is there other things'Idid a volum test and it was fine but that was with the line pulled off.{no presure on pump}
The pump is the problem, your luckey it runs at all. You need 35 to 45 PSI. Replace the pump and you should be fine.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician