Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

According: under load..Mechanic fuel pressure drops..van..gauge…

86 E150 bogs down/jerks under...
86 E150 bogs down/jerks under load. According to Mechanic fuel pressure drops to 20psi (and under I believe) when the van is doing this bogging down and jerking. He also said that the pressure drops when the van has been sitting for a while (with the gauge on). He told me that it was the HP pump, I changed that and it made no difference.
New parts:
Catalytic converter
Spark plugs
Spark Cables
Rotor cap
Rotor
Tfi
Distributor (new pick up)
New High pressure pump
Van has been timmed
Fuel regulator
rear in tank pump (according to last owner so not verified)
fuel filter
TPS
MAP
Fuel injector cleaner in tank
What has been cleaned:
Throttle body
EGR
Seafoam vacuum system
4/17/2011
Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, I would like for you to verify that the fuel filter is installed with the flow arrow pointing to the front. If you cannot see the arrow, the lip shown in the picture is the front edge of the filter and that end should have the hose going to the engine. I have run across a few in the past that were in backwards and caused these issues. Also, if you have dual tanks, there is a scondary filter inside the tank switching valve. Let me know. Thanks

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, I made sure that the filter was installed correctly and I forgot to mention that I was planning on changing the filter on the tank switching valve

Dieseljunky2 :

Change the switching valve filter before we go into any other diagnosis. Those filters are many times never changed because most techs don't even know they are in there. Let me know how it works out. Thanks

Customer:

Cool, I will not be able to get to the van for a couple of days, but I will let you know as soon as it is replaced.

Dieseljunky2 :

Just reply back to me the same as you are doing now. It will notify me and I will respond when I get the message. Thanks

Customer:

Perfect.

Dieseljunky2 :

Thanks

Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic