Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

1999 Ford expedition: check engine light..the pcv hose..low oil

My 1999 Ford expedition had a check engine light. The independent mechanic said that the pcv hose needed to be replaced. Would this account for low oil levels? Should the mechanic have checked the oil level when fixing the pcv hose? Is that a reasonable expectation?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The PCV Hose would not account for low oil levels. If the mechanic was only told to replace the hose, and was only in the shop for that specific reason only, then most likely would not have checked the oil level.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If a customer comes in with a check engine light, shouldn't a mechanic at least check the oil?
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

If the vehicle came in specfically for the check engine light on, then likely not. Unless the code retrieved corresponded with a low oil level, the oil level would most likely not have been changed unless previously told the oil level needed attention.

I am sensing someone did not check the oil and something has happened, is that right?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the mechanic actually told me that it's a good thing we brought it in because the pcv hose can cause the engine to burn oil. Then 5 days after they "fixed" it, the engine seized from lack of oil. They insisted that they would have checked the oil (their standard operating procedure for all cars that come in to the shop), but there was no leak.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I am very sorry to hear that, the PCV system is designed to ventilate the crankcase and prevent pressure build up, a plugged PCV can cause oil leaks, the blowby vapors that end up in an engine's crankcase contain moisture as well as combustion byproducts and unburned fuel vapors. The crankcase is sealed to prevent the escape of these gases into the atmosphere, but the vapors must be removed to prevent oil contamination that leads to sludge formation.