Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford F150 FX4 Transmission clunks at 25 mph when downshifting,

Transmission clunks at 25 mph...
Transmission clunks at 25 mph when downshifting, below or around 1000 rpm.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2011
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

If this is what your feeling then there is a SSM which applies.

NNN-NN-NNNN2005 F-150/E-SERIES/EXPEDITION WITH 4R70W/E OR 4R75W/E - INTERMITTENT CLUNK ON 3-2 DOWNSHIFT DURING COASTDOWN/TIP-IN
2000-2005 F-150, E-SERIES OR EXPEDITION VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 4R70W/E OR 4R75W/E TRANSMISSION MAY INTERMITTENTLY EXHIBIT A SLIGHT CLUNK ON A 3-2 DOWNSHIFT DURING COASTDOWN/TIP-IN UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. THIS IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC, SO DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/21/2004

After the previous message came out, then this TSB came out.

TSB 05-10-12 HARSH 3-2 DOWNSHIFT BETWEEN 17-25 MPH - NO DTCS - 4R75E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 4/20/2005 ISSUE: SOME 20005 F-150 AND 2006 MARK LT VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 4/20/2005, EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.4L ENGINE AND 4R75E AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, MAY EXHIBIT A HARSH 3-2 DOWNSHIFT BETWEEN 17-25 MPH WITH NO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC), AND A DRIVELINE CLUNK BETWEEN 40-50 MPH.
ACTION: REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) TO THE LATEST CALIBRATION USING WDS RELEASE B37.4 OR HIGHER.....

The issue if it is a 3-2 downshift is the intermediate one way clutch going from over-running to holding and causing this clunk. You may also want to disable overdrive prior to down shifting throttle forced to see if the concern stops indicating its a 4-2 downshift and a overdrive band issue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician