Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escape Limited What is the cost to replace my 2008 Ford

Customer Question
What is the cost to...
What is the cost to replace my 2008 Ford Escape Limited power steeing column? The power steering keeps going out, then you turn off key and restart and the power steering is fine. When vehicle sits idle the wheel handle starts moving back and fourth with a clicking sound. I have searched the internet on this problem and every complaint from the consumer, Ford says the steering column has to be replaced, but no recall on this issue. Thanks, David
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
3/28/2011
Ford Mechanic: Earl, Ford Technician replied 6 years ago
Earl
Earl, Ford Technician

Earl :

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. The steering column cost's just about $1200.00 and labor to replace it is 2.1 hours. I am not aware of any issues with these power steering columns and have not seen any concerns myself.

Earl :

Do you have the VIN number so I can check the Ford data for any known concerns?

Customer:

1FMCU04168KC15821

Earl :

How many miles are on your Escape?

Customer:

108, 650

Earl :

Ok I saw you had a extended warranty which would have cover the steering column. It expired at 100,000 miles. I don't see any known concerns in the Ford data base.

Customer:

ok, Thanks!

Earl :

I did just find this SSM (Special Service Message) but it will require some hand on diagnosis to verify if it is the cause of your concern. 20895 2008-2009 ESCAPE/MARINER/HYBRID - REDUCED POWER STEERING ASSIST - NO DTC
SOME 2008-2009 ESCAPE, MARINER, ESCAPE HYBRID AND MARINER HYBRID VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT REDUCED AND/OR INTERMITTENT POWER STEERING ASSIST WITHOUT DTCS IN THE POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE (PSCM). IF THE PSCM RECEIVES LESS THAN 11 VOLTS THE PSCM ENTERS A LIMITED OPERATION MODE (LOM), THIS MODE REDUCES THE AMOUNT OF ASSIST BASED ON THE POWER SUPPLY SYSTEM VOLTAGE. PRIOR TO REPLACING THE PSCM, VERIFY THE FOLLOWING: 1) PROPER OPERATION OF THE POWER SUPPLY SYSTEM. 2) VOLTAGE FROM THE BJB AND SJB TO THE PSCM. FAILURE TO FIND THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE LOW VOLTAGE CONDITION MAY RESULT IN REPLACEMENT OF A GOOD PSCM AND POSSIBLE REPEAT REPAIRS. THE ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-00, HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH IMPROVED EXPLANATIONS AND DIAGNOSTICS FOR THIS CONDITION.

Customer:

Earl, thanks. When you come back online, if this is the case and my vehicle needs the repair, will Ford cover this SSM even though the warranty is expired? I have had this SSM issue with my heating and was taken care of but was under warranty at that time.

Earl :

SSM are only cover under warranty when the vehicle is still under warranty. SSM's are not a recall and are only updates to provide information of possible causes for certain concerns.

Customer:

Ok, Thanks!

Earl :

Alright good luck with your Escape I hope you get the concern resolved. If I have been any help at all please click the Accept button so I get credit for my works Thanks If you have any other questions let me know.

Earl
Earl, Ford Technician
Earl
Earl
Earl, Ford Technician