Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford escape: i remove a rear wheel bearing..2008 model..4x4

How do i remove a rear wheel bearing from a ford escape 2008 model 4x4.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Is the FWD or AWD?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its a 4wd
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
and its a drum brake at the rear.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The steering knucle has to be removed to access the snap ring tha holds the bearing in place. I have enclosed the instructions.

DOWNLOAD HERE and HERE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can't open the download. Its saying invalid link. my question is about the rear wheel. How do i remove the suspension?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Here let me resend the links, the steering knuckle has to come off and here are the instructions.

Click the links below.

http://wikisend.com/download/679878/A1.pdf

http://wikisend.com/download/601376/A2.pdf
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok i have opened the diagram, the problem is how do i remove the wheel knuckle? Is there som kind of special tool? Because thats where im stuck right now.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes you will need the following tools. as per the instructions.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The diagram does not state how you can remove the knuckle. It only states how to remove the bearing assembly. I will apreciate it if you can PLEASE shed some light on removing the knuckle from the body of the car cos i have removed the bolt and nut holding it down but it seems there is some kinda clip that goes right through it.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The second Link in the last 2 I sent you gives you step by step instruction. Have another look.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Scroll down to the middle of the page start at Step one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just went through one againg. There was no instruction to the diagram for the knuckle only listed the cam nut , cam knuckle sleeve and bolt. thats all. The only istruction there is, is for the removal of the wheel hub.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The first picture shows you the knuckle, remover the 2 bolts from each end and the ball joint.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thats exactly what i'm saying, I have removed the bolts but the knuckle wont come off because it has a sort of second retainer or inner sleeve. My problem is "How to remove the cam knucle inner sleeve?" The diagram only showed them removed i.e number 7 pointer in the diagram is the inner sleeve which is the one i need the know how.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You simply drive the sleeve out. Once the bolt is removed the knuckle is pried out .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Believe me man, i have tried that even using a pry bar. the sleeve just doesn't com out like that. though the bolt cam off but the sleeve is the major hurdle. That exactly is my reason for asking for help. More reason why i asked if there is a special tool for this operation.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The sleeve is suppose to come out as its just an alignment sleeve. I have never had this problem, Have you tried soaking it real well with penetrating oil
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did with wd40 it just shakes with the rubber guige. The sleeve is not coming off.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Well I dont know of any trick to help you get it out with out being there so I will re-list the question in hopes that someone may have the answer you need. Please do not respond to me as it will lock the question to me. If someone has the answer you want. They will respond to you soon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I finally removed the knuckle. It actually has a key like sleeve which has 2 be unlocked before the sleeve can be removed. The drawing did not say anything about that. I will accept the answer just (o pay but I wasn't satisfied.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If you are not satified you do not have to accept.