Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1995 e-250: the fuel pump fuse or relay?

I

Customer Question

<p>Hello Dan, Is there any way that the fuel pump does not turn on when I turn the key on my 1995 e-250 other than the fuel pump fuse or relay?</p><p> </p><p>I have waited 2 hours now. Is someone getting back?</p><p> </p><p>Is anyone going to get back to me?</p>
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Sorry for the delay, I can help you if you still need help. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi.

Could you please answer the question above if possible. I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The fuel pump relay is controlled by the PCM (computer) thru ground switching. If you have power on the red and the yellow wire while cranking and the pump still dosnt run then the PCM is not switching ground to the relay on the lite blue/orange wire at the relay . Take a 12 volt test light and see if the red and yellow wires are getting hot.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
While I check this let me ask another related question. If it was the fuel pump itself, would you expect it to come back to life after a month?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
No the pump dosnt usually come back to life if it dies, lets see if the relay is energizing first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

hi,

I am looking at the fuse box next to the brake master cylinder next to the battery?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The fuel pump relay is in the under hood fuse panel.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is my focus with the voltmeter on the wires connecting or the socket inside?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
You are going to need to lift the fuse block up and remove the cover and check the wires at the relay connector with the relay in place while cranking the engine. You will need a helper.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I lift the fuse block up?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
There should be clips on all four corners, unsnap them and lift up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I got it off, but cannot really move it more than an inch because of the master cylinder and AC tubes. Anything else I can try?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If you think the relay is bad, switch it with the ABS relay, they are the same. if that dosnt work you need to test the wires at the relay
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did that early on. No relay works.

If it is the wires, is it an expensive repair?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

I dont think its the wires, you just need to see if you have power on the red and yellow wires at the relay, also be sure to check the H fuse(30amp) in the under hood fuse panel.

If you have power on both and the fuse is good then the PCM isnt grounding the relay.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If the PCM is not grounding the relay, what the the fix?

Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
If the PCM isnt grounding the relay then you will need a new PVM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What/Where is the PVM?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
The PCM is the computer . The Powertrain Control Module is located at the left rear of the engine compartment, near brake master cylinder.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is that an expensive repair?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Your looking at about $200 or a new PCM if that is what you need, you have to do the test to be sure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks very much Dan.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your very welcome, and thanyou very much as well.