How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Eric Your Own Question
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Category: Ford
Satisfied Customers: 32336
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Type Your Ford Question Here...
Eric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ford F150 Pickup My truck is leaking anti-freeze from the

This answer was rated:

My truck is leaking anti-freeze from the upper left side of the engine. Not sure what to call the area since I know nothing about engines. Not coming from a hose. Any ideas?

what size engine is in your F150?

Is the leak towards the front or rear on the left side of the engine? And when you say the left side, are you referring to the driver's or passenger's side of the engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the leak is toward the front on the passenger's side of the truck, which is a 1995. Sorry about that. I have no idea on the size of the engine and the truck is in a parking lot 20 miles from me. Can you get it from the vin number?

yes, I just need the 8th digit of the VIN code
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the letter "N"

ok, you have the 5.0L v8 engine in yours.

there are a couple of common areas that can leak. the thermostat housing and the heater hose connection coming of the intake manifold;


check both places to see which is leaking. If you cant tell for sure, then you need to have a cooling system pressure test done so that the leak can be pinpointed.

As to repair, if the thermostat housing gasket is leaking, then about $90 parts and labor. If the heater hose connection is leaking, then about $140 parts and labor to replace it
Eric and other Ford Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
turns out it is some sort of "plug", that was located behind a plate bewtween the hose connector and the thermostat housing. It looks like maybe some sort of plug that has rusted/dissolved. I have no idea what it may be.

that would be a freeze plug for the engine block. they are designed to pop out if the coolant in engine block freezes to prevent damage to the block. the rust out over time. replacement one should be about $5 for the part and 1 hour labor