Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

1997 Mercury Mountaineer: starter, solenoid and checked all the fuses

My daughters 1997 Mercury Mountaineer will not start. When the key is turned it just makes a click that sounds like it comes from the solenoid switch. I have changed the starter, solenoid and checked all the fuses. This vehicle is not equipped with the anti-theft system. It has a normal key. When I pulled the old starter the braided, uninsulated wire coming from inside the starter and connected to the terminal opposite the positive terminal was corroded completely through. I assumed this was the problem and then installed the new starter. But it still just clicks. I have made sure the battery is fully charged and cleaned the terminals as well. Also the ignition switch was changed out about a month before this occurred, so I haven't pursued that. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Chuck :

Take the bolts out of the starter one at a time and see if the threads are black if they are you may be loosing the ground to the starter.Take a wire brush to them and reinstall and see if this cures your problem.

Chuck :

If this does not solve it then take a voltmeter and hook one lead to the battery positive post and the other end to the battery cable on the starter.You should read 12V,then while watching your meter have someone turn ignition switch to start position and it should now read less than 1V. If it doesn't then you have either a bad cable or solenoid.

Customer:

Thanks,I will do so. Is there an inline fuse that I may be missing.

Chuck :

If it is clicking then the fuse should be ok. It is either going to be a corrioded connection or bad cable,or lose of ground to starter

Customer:

Thanks Chuck, this ones got me.