Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford My 2007 F150 has 69k miles...ABS light keeps going on,

My 2007 F150 has 69k...
My 2007 F150 has 69k miles...ABS light keeps going on, despite the fact that I got new brakes in March 2010. Mechanic says i need a new master cylander, ball joints and shocks...Is he BS-ing me?
2/14/2011
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

while there might indeed be issues with the master cylinder, balljoints and shocks, they have absolutely zero to do with the ABS light. The mechanical part of the brakes such as pads have nothing to do with the ABS system either.

the abs warning light comes on when there is a problem with either a wheel speed sensor, speed sensor tone ring, short in wiring harness, ABS hydraulic unit, or ABS control module.

The only way to know is to have the control module scanned with a diagnostic scanner for stored fault codes and go from there.

As to the other things:

If there is a creaking noise like old bedsprings when going over bumps or potholes, then balljoints need replacing, otherwise they are fine.

For shocks, push down on each corner of the truck. It should go down once, rebound up and stop. If it goes down again and back up, then shock is worn enough to be replaced.

As long as the brake pedal is firm and not sinking to the floor, the master cylinder is fine

As to the other things:

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager