Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1997 ford taurus 3.0,my fuel pump is not kicking on,fuse

Customer Question
and relay is good,and i...
I have a 1997 ford taurus 3.0,my fuel pump is not kicking on,fuse and relay is good,and i removed fuel pump and tested it and it is good,any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
2/5/2011
Ford Mechanic: Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician replied 6 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello, I am Randall. Sorry for delay . If you still need help, this will not be a 123 fix but I will surely try to direct you.

I do need to know what 3.0 engine you have? do you have a testlight?

Also, how are you confirming the fule pump relay is bad?

Hi,i have the u engine overhead valve,i do have a test light,and i swapped the relay with another.

The synchronizer went out on the car,so i ordered one along with the camshaft sensor and tool to install it,i installed it and now i have no fuel,from what i understand even if i am off with the synchronizer,the fuel pump would still kick on,is this correct?

Thanks, I want to be sure we are talking about same items. where was the relay located that you swapped out?

I typed the above prior to you coming back with the cam info. I will go back to that question shortly

My manual shows the relay to be beside the battery box,on the drivers fender,combined into this silver square box,i replaced the silver square box.

did that box have a large plug and many wires going to it?

Yes

It's strange because i never had a problem with fuel until that synchronizer went out and now i get nothing.
I am having trouble seeing the wiring colors shown on the diagram. but.. I need you to go back to that box. Look for one of 2 wire colors.

First look for a DARK GREEN/VIOLET wire and if none found look for DARK GREEN /YELLOW wire. I cat remember and cant tell if the stripe is to be yellow or violet It shows like a "V" on my end or a "Y" on my end. Picture is a little fuzzy Let me if and when you can locate that wire and wire color

I understand but we have to check basics. the pump is to come on with or withour stnc when you turn the key to run
Ok will do,will you be around in about 2 hours?i am away from the car at the moment.
yes, let me know. If you locatete it. I need you to back probe that wire ( leave module plugged in) with testlight as you cycle the key from of to run. I need to know if it lights up
ok,will get back to you shortly
ok thanks
Ok,the wire was dark green and yellow,put a test light on it and got nothing.
ok, bear with me as I have to check some diag diagrams etc. back as quick as I can
Ok,also when the key is turned to the on position,the service engine light does not light up.
Ok, I did not ask that and sorry but this changes things. is there anything esle you have noticed. very important I get all the details from your end as to know what direction to take. So far you say:

No light with key,

You changed sync and cam sensor

you have chenged out eh relay module

Anything else you may have missed?
no,that's it,and all other lights come on except that one.
Go back to the relay module. You can either unplu or lv plugged in and backprobe. Turn key to RUN. Probe:

Orange wire

Also: (2) Dark Green/Orange wires

need to know if power on theses or not./ LMk when you can. Thanks
Both are hot,have power.
all 3 are hot with the key on and with the key off.
ok, last one. Check the WHITE/Lt BLUE wire with key in RUN
its hot with the key on
Ok, inside the same module you replaced are several relays. One for fusle pump and one for the computer and some others. You are missing something as far as computer powerup thus why the light is not on. You have told me you have power to everything we need. You have one of 3 problems. Either the relay module is bad or you have 2 bad ones. OR the black wires going to the relay box need to be cjhecked for good grounds OR the PCM is bad. It cant be anything else. I put diagram up so you can see the computer relay and fule pump relay, the power to them and then PCM etc..

graphic
View Full Image
ok,if its the pcm,is this a plug and play if i get it from the same year and engine or does it have to go to the dealer after its installed.
I would really like to probe all the power sources at ecm plug. Do you know where it is? can you get to the plug? If we have power everywhere needed, then 100% it will be ECm and its not powering up to turn the light on and control things. LMK if you know where the PCm plug is
I need to step out agin and run up road for short while. the power source wire colors are to be checked at the PCM plug Either unplugged or plugged in with key on. The wires you need to confirm have 12 volts are"

2 separate REd wires and a Dark Green/orange wire. Check thses and then lmk. Ifyou think by doing any work recently you unhooked any ground wires at engine, double check them as well.
Ok,it was the pcm,if i get one from the same vin and motor is it just plug and play?
Yes, the PCM does not have to be programmed on this model. PCm must match though. There are used, reman and new offered. New cars have to have reprogrammed. Yours does not
Ok,i replaced the pcm and still getting the same issue,no start,no check engine light coming on the dash when the key is turned on,this car is driving me nuts any more ideas?Thank you.
Were the wires checked I sent you to check? did you do the ground wires check at PCM as well?
Ok,i checked the wires and do not have 12volts on any of the 3 wires.
Back now. Let me pull the duagrams and check some things, back shortly
You need to check 3 fuses. If in doubt, pls swap them out to be for sure

Check/swap these:

Under hood fuse box= Horn fuse, a 15 amp fuse

Under hood fuse box = EEEC Power ,30 amp fuse

Inside fuse box = #10 fuse,EEEC relay . 20 amp fuse
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician