Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. No heat. Coolant Level is alright.

Customer Question
I changed the Thermostat but...
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. No heat. Coolant Level is alright. I changed the Thermostat but didnt fix the heat problem. There is a "Clicking" noise inside the passenger compartment that sounds like a relay opening and closing.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
1/22/2011
Ford Mechanic: Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech. replied 7 years ago
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Hi ,My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can answer this question for you!

The problem with your Explorer is a fault in the Temperature blend door actuator.The gears inside the actuator are damaged and are causing the clicking noise that you are hearing.On some of these Explorers the Blend door itself may be damaged .You will need to remove the blend door actuator and inspect the door socket where the actuator connects for damage.If there is no damage to the door,install a new blend door actuator.

It is located under the dash to the left of the radio .On the heater box.Dash removal is usually required to access it.

graphic

I dont have the knowledge to remove my dash. is it possible to access is without removing the dash?

It is but it's a tight fit.

Remove the panels beneath the steering column and the side panels to the center console.You should be able to see the actuator just to the left and below the radio. Remove the dash support and lower air duct.A small 5/16 wrench can get in to remove the 3 screws holding the actuator in place.

Remove dash panels:

graphic

remove the brace and the air duct behind the brace:

graphic

Remove the upper screw:

graphic

remove the other two screws from below:

graphic

You may need to gently pry the dash panel away to make room to get the actuator out.

Hope this helps!! Let me know how it goes,thank you. Scott

Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.