Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 Mercury mountaineer: it runs fine..fuel pump relay..tester

my 2001 Mercury mountaineer is hard starting when its cold sometimes I hear the fuel pump prime sometimes I don't but when it starts it runs fine could this be a relay problem??had it for 2 years with no problem do you know where the fuel pump relay is located?don't have access to a pressure tester
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The problem you are describing could very well be a bad fuel pump relay if you are not hearing the pump cycle on. For the price of the relay, it would be a good place to start. The relay is located in the under hood fuse panel. I have marked it in the diagram.

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ron are you sure this is the right view of the fuze box
Yes, this is your under hood fuse box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
please let me check again thank you
It will have a black cover over it, remove the cover and it will look like the diagram.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok hold on please
No problem, I am here if you need me..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you I belive the dealer gave me the wrong relay I am going back now be back in 30 min ok?
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
by the way thepcm relay is very warm does that mean anything?

The PCM relay as well as all the relays will get warm but not hot, If it getting hot it may be the faulty relay. THe PCM and fuel pump use the same relay.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I chaned the relays but must wait untill morning to try I use dry gas fuel injector cleaner and high test gas every fill up . the fuel pump would just quit if it was bad right?

Yes in most cases it will get very noisy and just quit, it wouldnt come and go.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my overdrive switch dont work all the time either any idea what this could be

It could be something as simple as the switch, if the light isnt flashing , I would suspect the switch. If the light is flashing , then you will need a code scan done to see what fault codes are stored.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the fuze and the computer yesterday no codes and fufe was good
Then it could be the switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last thing do you have a view of the 302 where parts are located like the dpfe maf iac ect and pcm items are located? and if my truck starts hard tommrow what should I look for next?

Here is the diagram.

DOWNLOAD HERE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just took the truck out in the snow it has alot more power and I canhear the blower kick in its loud but powerful

The relay change should not effect engine power as long as its starting.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it always starts when warm but the temp is going down to -5 to 10 tommrow will tell the story
Ok, that sounds like a good plan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what happens if it does the same thing tommrow where do you think I should look next a grage and hook it up to a computer????????

Yes if it still has a problem, then a code scan would be the next step.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your time take care and have a good weekend
Your very welcome and thank you very much as well