Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

White smoke out the exhaust

Customer Question
white smoke out the exhaust
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
1/1/2011
Ford Mechanic: RJ, Ford Technician replied 7 years ago
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician

RJ :

Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer.

RJ :

How many miles are on your truck ?

RJ :

Does the truck run ok ?

RJ :

Please check the engine oil level and see if it is overfull , also make a note of the coolant level.

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

coolant is low 1-2 gals every 100 miles 150000 miles -- won`t start starter won`t turn it over.

RJ :

So the truck will not start at this point ? But when it was running you had white smoke ?

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

yes, egr value was the problem, this has been going on for a week or so. Last three days it used more coolant and white smoke comes out the exhast for a minute or so. Came home yesterday and turned it off. This morning it would not turn over. Battery is ok.

RJ :

This engine uses a system that cools the egr gases , by passing the exhaust gas through two coolers . Both coolers have engine coolant running through them, if one of them is leaking this will cause coolant to enter the engine and cause white smoke. When you shut the engine off and the coolant system is under pressure this will cause coolant to enter one or more of the cylinders with the engine off.

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

yesterday i came home from Sacramento {100 miles} had to put in two gals of coolant half way back. Got home and turned it off..Coolant was down two gals this morning and would`nt turn over.

RJ :

Since coolant(water) does not compress the engine will hydrolock, preventing the engine from turning over.

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

What is my next move?

RJ :

I am assuming you do not see any external coolant leaks ?

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

Right, the coolant disappears and the heat gage stays at normal and no sensor lights come on. I changed the oil 10-12 days ago and noticed I was a gal low . Checked for leaks and every thing was fine, then all hell broke loose.

RJ :

So this is most likely a cooler, or possibly a head gasket, however the headgasket is not common on this engine. In order to test the cooler they must be removed from the engine and then pressure tested to determine which one may be leaking. One cooler is on the left side of the engine just above the exhaust manifold and the other is a vertical cooler on the left front of the engine.

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

Is this something I could do and then take it to the ford dealer and have it pressured checked? also if that is the problem how do I get the water out of the cylinders so it will start.

RJ :

Removing the glow plugs and then cranking the engine over will pump out the coolant , unfortunately the coolant would go into the crankcase so it would certainly contaminate the oil. To access the glow plugs, you can remove both fender liners allow the removal of the glow plugs which are acessed through the tops of the valve covers.

RJ :

Removeing the the coolers is not easy , and requires a great deal of work. To do this at home would be a real pain in the rear.

RJ :

Also do keep in mind if the coolant continues to sit in the cylinders this will cause pitting of the cylinder walls and this can cause base engine failures that are unrepairable without a engine replacement, so do not wait to long to get this fixed.

JACUSTOMER-8qqo6dg4- :

Thank you very much. Also I assume it would be best to change the oil as soon as the problem is solved.

RJ :

absolutely, the oil would certainly need changed once this is resolved.

RJ :

Glad to have been able to help you out, good luck to you.

RJ :

Please do not forget to complete this transaction today. Thankyou. Let me know if you have any further questions.

RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
RJ
RJ
RJ, Ford Technician