Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2008 taurus: tryed..a c clamp, i purchased a tool to turn the caliper

I am replacing my rear brake pads on my 2008 taurus and cannot get the caliper to retract. i have tryed a c clamp, i purchased a tool to turn the caliper but still not going in. Sugestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-k7mxnh6i-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The rear calipers must be compressed using the proper tool, trying to compress with a C-Clamp may have damaged the caliper, if you need I can send instructions directly from Ford on how to perform the repair.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please send detailed instructions on how to retract caliper and what tool is required. Thanks!
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-k7mxnh6i-.

You are very welcome!

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The isntructions with diagrams are below. Hopefully the caliper is not damaged, you may also try loosening the bleeder screw to relieve the pressure, and help the piston compress. To move the piston back into the caliper, the LH piston is turned clockwise and the RH piston is turned counterclockwise.

Rear Disc Brake Pad Replacement Instructions Click Here

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Looks like I have to turn the caliper and push at the same time. I will try this with the bleeder screw removed. Thanks!
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome and Thank you very much!