Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Escort ZX2 1998 ford zx2 transmission problem.....medium

1998 ford zx2 transmission problem.....medieum...
1998 ford zx2 transmission problem.....medieum brown fluid after 600 miles on change over. car will not go into gear. drained radiator and did not find trans fluid in radiator fluid. trans fluid was over filled (only put in 4 qt ) on change over. Fluid was foamy.
12/19/2010
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

I have seen this and it was sabotage someone pored water into the trans

Steve :

If you feel this is not the case then water or coolant could be getting into the trans from the radiator and the fix would be to replace the radiator

Steve :

If the car will not go into gear then the trans will need to be rebuilt

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

I put air pressure to the trans cooler side of the radiator and it held pressure with no leaks.

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

What would cause the color change in about 600 miles?

Steve :

the trans is worn or wore out disk clutches

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

After the trans was changed it slowly slipped while in drive. until it wouldn't go into gear at all. in reverse, it wanted to move forward.

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

fluid was high, the brown color and foamy.

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

no smell of burnt trans fluid and leaking from filler tube.

Steve :

sounds like it is time to replace or rebuild the trans

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

with 209000 miles, it would be uneconomical to rebuild. this trans came out of a 2000 103000 mile car.

Steve :

then I would replace it or junk the car

Steve :

any other questions

Steve :

If not please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

please give me a few minutes, i'd like to finish up where i was when we started. and maybe have a better set of questions. I do beleive you are on the right track.

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

ne more question.

Steve :

ok let me know I have all day

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

when i took the cooler lines off the trans, and started the car, no fluid came out either port. any ideas?

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

air would enter the port on the drivers side of the trans. nothing would go through the port on top of the trans

Steve :

sounds like the pump in the trans is bad the reason it will not move

Steve :

you need to be able to build up pressure for the trans to work

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

pump is located where?

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

any tests i can run?

Steve :

in the front of the trans just behind the torque convertor

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

trans would have to come out?

Steve :

you can run pressures test to verify but if nothing is coming out of the lines then you have already diag it no pump action

Steve :

yes it would and if the color is off you have other issues to loke worn clutch packs

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

would change in fluid viscosity effect the pump?

Steve :

no it wont

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

back in a bit

Steve :

ok see ya

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

steve

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

yo steve

Steve :

hi

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

I changed the fluid and the car does go in drive, but no reverse. The car did want to go forward in park, but that stopped. there is a winding sound in park and drive.

Steve :

sounds like the trans needs to be replaced still did you drop the pan and see any metal

JACUSTOMER-9c6pbksd- :

no, doing this outside on the city street in 30 f weather.

Steve :

hi

Steve :

sorry kept getting kicked out of chat but I am back

Steve :

the botXXXXX XXXXXne is the trans needs to be replaced or rebuilt or the car needs to be replaced.

Steve :

You could take it to a trans repair shop and get a better idea of what you are looking at for cost of repairs.

Steve :

hi are you there?

Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Steve
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician