Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2004 Ford Taurus: AC Compressor froze up so I..bypass..pulley..blowing

Have a 2004 Ford Taurus. AC Compressor froze up so I removed it and replaced with the bypass pulley. The issue I am having is that now the Keep Alive memory fuse is blowing constantly. I have been told that there is a relay that I can also remove. Any clues as to the location of that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What relay are you referring to?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried replacing the fuse. That is really all I have done. I also tried removing the AC clutch relay. Now it won't start and the theft light is flashing.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

-Was a different key used to start vehicle?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have both the original keys. It was Relay 33. Just for the AC clutch
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The same fuse that is blown be it #18, #22, or #33 supplies voltage to the cars PCM (Powertrain Control Module) or otherwise known as the computer for the Keep Alive Memory (KAM). Find the blown fuse, and keep the AC compressor from blowing it again by replacing it or unpluging it, and all the symptoms you've described will go away.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Look under the hood between the radiator and the AC compressor you will see a small 2 wire connector plugged into the compressor just behind the compressor pulley. Umplug that connector from the compressor.

Then in the fuse box under the hood on the radiator support there is a blown 10 amp red mini fuse. Replace that fuse with another 10 amp fuse and you can drive the Taurus with no problems.

If you do not unplug the compressor and just replace the fuse, the fuse will blow again shortly because the AC compressor is sending a voltage spike that is blowning the fuse and causing the check engine light.

If the answer has been helpful then PLEASE don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, so that I may get credit for my work, thanks.