Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2001 ford taurus: fuses..wipers..radio,dash lights,door locks

Customer Question
my 2001 ford taurus keeps...
my 2001 ford taurus keeps blowing # XXXXX and 29 fuses and wipers,radio,dash lights,door locks, and door windows stopped working
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 day by:
12/18/2010
Ford Mechanic: NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
There is a short to ground, or short to other wires in your wiring harness. Very hard to diagnose, must be checked by a shop that feels comfortable in finding intermittent shorts.
Dealer is usually the best bet, to find the fault in wiring. Do not replace any parts or components (many shops will recommend this to "try" and fix). Will be wiring. and requires the proper technician to find. Will cost much less in the long run if the dealer diagnosis.
Thanks!
as soon as i turn on key #11 pops then if i leave key on and turn head light switch on #29 pops and the alternator is getting very hot, had it tested and is ok. had battery tested same time and was dead still have problem any idea where to start or what to look for and thank you for your time.
Hi, has the vehicle been in an accident prior to the problem? If so, definetly look at the wires in the area of the accident. Next, if fuse 11 pops as soon as the key is turned on, find a high beam bulb, make a set of wires to take the place of the blades in the fuse box. The lamp should light up. Shake all visible wires under hood, along with under dash, while looking at the light. If the light dims or becomes brighter when shaking a certain area, the problem will be in that area of the wiring. Could be any where in the loom. Can be difficult to pinpoint.
NicksSticks
NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician