Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Taurus SEL I want to replace timing cover and gasket

I want to replace timing...
I want to replace timing cover and gasket on my 02 taurus 3.0 OHC 193K miles. I have removed water pump and most bolts and am down to the timing cover itself. How do I remove the timing cover pulley & harmonic balancer?
12/15/2010
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Enclosed are the complete instruction for the balancer and the Front cover. Let me know if you need more help.

DOWNLOAD HERE and HERE
What tools are necessary?
The only special tool you will need is the harmonic balancer puller, if you do not have one, most part store have a tool loner program for a small fee.

how many bolts are there to the timing cover?

There are 10 bolts.

See complete instruction here.

DOWNLOAD HERE

graphic
How can I remove Pulley without pulley moving while I'm removing it?
Are you talking about the water pump?
No, the crankshaft pulley ...the water pump is already off.

If you use an air ratchet the bolts will come off the balancer with out it moving, if not, you are going to have to remove the starter and wedge a large pry bar in the teeth of the flywheel and this will hold it. It easier to use an air ratchet.

After pulling off the crankshaft pulley then do I need to pry off the balancer?

No that is where you will need the puller, you can not pry it off. You have to use the puller.
does it need to go back on to the exact spot on the shaft? Do I have to mark anything?
It will only go on one way, the balancer has a slot for the crank shaft key way, line it up with that.

Last question - how can I tell if the timing cover is cracked or not? And will one from a wreck yard work?

The only way to tell if its cracked is to remove it and clean it up real well and look it over real well, yes a use one will work but make sure to look it over as well to be sure its in good shape.
Great thank you, I am 100% satisfied !! Have a great rest of the day
You are very welcome, thank you very much as well.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician