Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford Escape: 2001 Ford escape with 6 cyl has been idling very

2001 Ford escape with 6 cyl has been idling very rough when cold. It has been especially cold lately and the check engine light came on last night. I went to an auto parts and they checked the codes (P0171 and P0174). I did some research and found that this may indicate a vacuum leak. But looking at this site there was discussion that a colasped PVC tube may also cause the same problem and give the same codes. I took it this morning to a repairs shop and they say that it has multiple vacuum leaks around the throttle body and intake manifold. They also recommended replacement of the PVC valve assembly (what is this? PVC valve plus what?), and to replace the plugs (which makes sense, you may as well if you got the intake manifold out of the way. The car has 83,000. The estimate was $806.00, I can't afford this, I am thinking of tackling it myself. Any suggestions? Do you think I just replace the PVC tube and see if that works or just do it all?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-r4n6afrf-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I would start by replacing the PCV valve first, if you need detailed instructions on how to remove the intake, let me know and I will send the instructions.

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I would like to see the instructions you have. I have the Haynes Manual which is pretty good most of the time but not always. Would like to see your instructions.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-r4n6afrf-.

Thank you for the reply. The Upper intake removal Instructions are below, (just click on the link below).

Upper Intake Manifold Removal Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, sorry, I misunderstood, I was wanting instuctions of how to replace the PVC valve. Is it necessary to remove the intake manifold to replace the PVC valve on this vehicle? Do you hacve instructions of how to replace the PVC valve? If so, please send them.

Thanks

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-r4n6afrf-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The Crankcase Ventilation tube removal is included in the upper intake manifold instructions. The V-6 is not equipped with an actual PCV valve only the crankcase ventilation tubes.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-r4n6afrf-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. There is also a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford Motor Company in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation as well, I am sending you a copy of the TSB in pdf format, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR TSB

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a PVC valve assembly (as indicated on the auto repair estimate) on this vehicle, and if so how is it replaced? By the price of thsi in parts according to the estimate, it may be a Ford part, con you confirm this? They referenced it as(NNN) NNN-NNNNPCV Valve Assy $175.36 (that's alot for a PCV valve, but I wonder if it includes tubes and other parts?)
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi JACUSTOMER-r4n6afrf-.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The price you are being quoted does not make any sense, the part should not cost $175.36 (way too much for PCV Valve).

Below is a diagram with the labor rate as well as Ford part numbers with prices for V-6 and 4cyl.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX must have included the hoses. No need to respond, Thank You.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome and Thank you.