Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford taurus I have a 2001 ford taurus that will not start.

Customer Question
I have a 2001 ford...
I have a 2001 ford taurus that will not start. The belt to the water pump broke. I replaced the belt. It doesn't start I had the spark plug wiring tested on the front 3 plugs to see if it was getting spark the one on the left had low or no voltage the other 2 didn't have any. I replaced the coil pack and the cam positioning sensor. I still can't get it to start. I has gas coming to the injectors. It seems like it may be out of time. Any Ideas
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
12/9/2010
Ford Mechanic: Steve, Ford Technician replied 7 years ago
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

I would check the crank sensor the belt may have broke the sensor or the connector

Steve :

also make sur the front crank pully did not slip when the belt broke

Steve :

this will get you out of time

Steve :

the crank sensor is on the timing cover nest to the front vibration dampner

Customer :

I want to make sure that you know the belt that broke was the one that runs the water pump which is on the driver side of the motor. Is that the belt you are referencing to.

Steve :

YES

Steve :

the crank sensor is next to the belt on the front dampner

Customer :

I'll look for the sensor

Steve :

The sensor or connector has been hit by the belt

Steve :

causing the no start

Steve :

here is a pics

Customer :

Facing the car is the crank sensor on the right or left side of the engine. I looked at the left side where the main belt is and found a sensor but on the side of the engine where the other belt broke I couldn't find a sensor mostly water hoses from the pump. I hope Iam explaining myself well enough to be able to help you analyse the problem.

Steve :

have you lookes at the pics?

Steve :

sorry you have a dohc engine thought you had a ohv engine

Steve :

you are right the belt is at the back of the engine

Steve :

does the check engine light come on key on engine off

Steve :

and does the check engine light go out when cranking the engine?

Steve :

let me know

Customer :

engine light stays on

Steve :

does it go out when cranking the engine ?

Customer :

no

Steve :

then the crank sensor is bad

Steve :

make sure you do not have any codes if you dont then replace the crank sensor

Customer :

I will check out the crank sensor thank you

Steve :

your welcome

Steve :

also make sure you have no codes a code will also cause the light to stay on in the crank mode

Customer :

I have no way of checking the codes I'm 10 miles from town and I don't have a code checker myself. I may have to have it hauled into town.

Steve :

remove the battery for five minutes and retry

Steve :

when you remove the negitive battery cable for five minutes it will erase the code

Steve :

click on the blue link for removal procedure

Steve :

it is a bitch to replace

Customer :

I'll try that

Steve :

ok

Customer :

I though it was just my luck

Steve :

bummer on that one

Customer :

Light goes out when cranking after I disconnected the battry

Steve :

you had a code and the crank sensor is ok

Customer :

great

Steve :

how much fuel pressure do you have?

Steve :

when checking spark only check one plug if you check for more you will get no spark

Steve :

need to check the inertia switch in the trunk see if it is tripped

Steve :

in the trunk on the passenger side is a black box with a button push down on the button

Steve :

Did you overheat the engine ?

Customer :

when I check it at the injectors it had good pressure i did not gage it. We checked the spark one at a time. I'll check it . The engine didn't get over heated

Steve :

may have low compresion if the engine was overheated severly

Customer :

be right back

Steve :

need to check the pressure with a gauge for proper pressure for a no start should be around 40lbs

Customer :

I couldn't find a black box in the trunk

Customer :

I couldn't find the black box

Customer :

I couldn't find a black box

Customer :

Sorry I didn't know i sent the message the first time

Steve :

HI

Steve :

ON THE PASSENGER SIDE BEHIND THE BLACK TRUNK COVER ON THE SIDE CLOSE TO THE FILLER CAP

Steve :

need to pull back the black liner

Customer :

I look again

Steve :

here is a pics

Steve :

need to go for a few Ill get back to you if you have more questions

Customer :

I found the little button but it was depressed aready I tried to push it

Customer :

down and couldn't

Steve :

need to check for fuel pressure with a gauge if you have spark

Steve :

You should have spark if the light goes out when cranking

Customer :

I'll have to get a gague to do that.

Steve :

go to a part store and buy one goes on the fuel rail lookes like a tire valve

Steve :

should have 40psi

Steve :

If it acts like it wants to start maby the plugs are fouled out

Customer :

Ok Ill do that tomorrow

Steve :

try pulling the front plugs and see if there are wet or black

Customer :

I'll get back with you tomorrow ok

Steve :

may be fouled out causing the no start

Steve :

ok have a great night

Customer :

thanks you to

Steve :

your welcome

Customer :

Steve I haven't been able to get it to start I'm gonna have to take it to a shop Thanks for your help Tony

Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
your welcome and good luck
Steve
Steve
Steve, Ford Technician