Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

1998 Ford Windstar: The HVAC system only blows..Defroster..vent..AC

I have a 1998 Ford Windstar. The HVAC system only blows are through the Defroster, not the vent or floor. Heat and AC temperature ok, just direction of air. Can you help determine the cause of the problems?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 6 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your vehicle trouble.

Pavlin Koev :

directional doors are vacuum controlled

Pavlin Koev :

you will have to check cacuumsupply first

JACUSTOMER-4w659vi1- :

Understood, but what is the best way to access the most logical source of the vacuum leak? Thru the glove box? Radio? Do I have to remove the dash?

Pavlin Koev :

just a minute

Pavlin Koev :

First thing to do is to check in engine compartment, vacuum is coming from intake manifold and through fire wall, follow and inspect all vacuum lines, if all are OK- then you will remove under dash covers first and will be able to gain access from there.

JACUSTOMER-4w659vi1- :

I have to leave now also. Will resume discussion tomorrow.

Pavlin Koev :

ok check what you can in the meantime!

JACUSTOMER-4w659vi1- :

Before I submitted my question to you, other online sources I checked also noted similar vacuum-related problems for the Ford Windstar mini-vans. So far, your answers are more or less generic for this type of problem. As far as the 1998 Ford Windstar itself, I know there are vacuum switches/actuators where the vacuum lines terminate that would seem to be the most logical place to start checking. You reference removing "under dash covers". Can you be more specific? I don't want to tear the whole dash apart if I don't have to. Do I access these vacuum switches/lines behind the dash on the passenger side or the driver side? Or are they behind the radio/HVAC controls in the center? Do you have a photo or an exploded view(s) of how the dash is assembled, so I only remove those "covers" needed? It was this kind of specific info I was looking for when I signed up for this answer. Advise.

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

Pavlin Koev :

Full Size Image

Pavlin Koev :

You will need to follow the lines and check, from control vaccum lines will go to vacuum actuators that control doors. if you do not have vacuum pump, you can use smal hose and suck it with your mouth, if does not hold vacuum-replace it.

JACUSTOMER-4w659vi1- :

This is what I was looking for. Thank you for your help.