someguy_78
someguy_78, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have an associate degree in the Ford A.S.S.E.T. program. I am master certified.13 years experience
19718845

2005 Ford Escape: 3.0L..OBD codes..Ignition coil..Circut

I have a 2005 Ford Escape v6 3.0L with the following OBD codes, P0351, P0352,P0353, P0354. The view freeze data is: P0354, Ignition coil D Primary /Secondary, Circut Malfuntion. Each of the other OBD codes list the A,B & C Ingniton coils. Does anyone know what needs to be replaced?

Thanks
Alan

Hi. There is a TSB for your vehicle for this concern. It is quite common. You need to replace all six ignition coils and spark plugs. You may also have to replace the PCM ( vehicles main computer ). Here is a copy of the TSB.

Scott

Printable View (51 KB)
TSB
10-18-10
  • 3.0L ENGINE - MIL ON WITH DTC P0351 THROUGH P0356 - MULTIPLE COIL PRIMARY CIRCUIT - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 10/03/2005
Publication Date: September 14, 2010

FORD:2005-2006 Escape
MERCURY:2005-2006 Mariner

This article supersedes TSB 09-2-6 to add a production fix date, update the Service Procedure, Part List and Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2006 Escape and Mariner vehicles built on or before 10/3/2005, equipped with a 3.0L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with two or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) for coil on plug (COP) primary circuit faults (P0351 through P0356). This may be due to the COP and powertrain control module (PCM) reacting to radio frequency interference from the spark plugs.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check for DTC's stored in the PCM.
    1. If codes P0351 through P0356 codes are stored in the PCM continue to Step 2.
    2. If codes are present other than P0351 through P0356, do not continue with this article. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostic.
  2. Replace all six (6) COPs. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01B.
  3. Perform a PCM internal coil driver functionality test by running the Oscilloscope Escape PCM Driver Test (available on Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) version B58 or later).
  4. Using IDS, select:
    1. Toolbox.
    2. Oscilloscope tools.
    3. Escape PCM Driver Test - follow on screen instructions.

NOTE:THE OSCILLOSCOPE TEST TO CHECK PCM INTERNAL COIL DRIVER FUNCTIONALITY MUST BE PERFORMED PRIOR TO REPLACING THE PCM.

5. If the coil driver functionally test fails, replace the PCM. Refer to WSM, Section 303-14B.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
2M2Z-12029-ACIgnition Coil Asy
5L8Z-12A650-AADPCM (2005 MY Built 8/2/2004 and Later)
5L8Z-12A650-LHPCM (2005 MY)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can replace parts but would you recommend that a dealer look at it? The vehicle has 109,000 miles and this sounds like a defect "Radio Intefernce from the Spark Plugs"

does the dealer repair this under warranty. Almost sounds like a recall should have happened.

Thanks

There is no recall and no warranty coverage. It is a TSB (technical service bulletin). If you end up having to replace the PCM you will have to have the dealer program it. If you just replace the PCM yourself and don't program it the vehicle won't start.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok...one last question. Since the plugs and COP's need to be replaced I will do that myself an dif the problem is resolved great if not I will take the vehicle to the dealer and have them replace the PCM. so if I replace the plugs and COP's should I use Ford factory parts or for example would Duralast COP's and off the shelf Autolite plugs be fine?
I never recommend autolite plugs. They are garbage. I recommend Motorcraft plugs. You can use after market COP's.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You....
Your welcome and good luck.