Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

2006 f 550: it wont start..start without..breather..same thing

i have a 2006 f 550 it wont start without putting a gas soaked rag in the breather. then it runs until you shut it off. thn it will do the same thing .

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, have you checked for codes? I am especially concerned with codes for icp below desired while cranking. Did you have any ICP or IPR codes? Is the throttle response just a little sluggish right off of idle speed?

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

no i havent checked codes

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

i dont think its sluggish

Dieseljunky2 :

Do you have any way to check for codes? I have had this situation many times and I would like a code to verify the issue. If you do not have a scan tool to check the codes, then I will advise what I feel the problem most likely is. Let me know about the scan tool and I will continue. Thanks

Dieseljunky2 :

ok

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

it ran fine for 600 miles then it shut off a few times but fired back up. so we changed oil and fuel filters it ranfine for 200 miles then shut it off at gas stationand it wouldt start without gas in breather. so we changed fuelpump with no luck

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

i dont have a scan tool

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

u there

Dieseljunky2 :

Yes, I was pulling up a picture.

Dieseljunky2 :

Under the valve cover are 2 tubes. There is a long one in the top rear of the high pressure oil rail and a short one in the front top of the high pressure oil rail. These are in the cast iron rail that is visable once the valve covers are removed. The ones on your truck should be a 10mm allen type head. These are the old style that are prone to failing. The new style has a 12mm allen type head and is a much better design. You will most likely find that the o-rings on the short tubes in the front end of the rails have started to erode away. This is an oil leak that causes hard starting in the 6.0 engines. You will find that the rear tubes will not come out in one piece. You can take a short 1/2" wooden dowel and taper the end, then stick it in the hole and jam it in the lower half of the tube and it will pull out. I have replaced hundreds of these tube assemblies for the symptoms you have. If you feel comfortable removing the valve covers, it is a fairly straight forward remove and replace job. Thansk

Dieseljunky2 :

Thanks

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-02230pg6- :

dealer says i need ipr valve replaced and number 3 injector. this thing shows like 10 codes they are, all start with p, 0269,0341, 0480,0528,0611,115a,1378,2290,2291,2623. they say i need 1 injector, a engine harness, ipr valve, and fuel pickup. they wont like $4000 please let me know if this sounds right.

I would hold off on the fuel pickup tube for the code P0115A, this can usually be fixed by adding biocide or any type of algae remover from the fuel. The P0269 is for injector on cylinder 3. The P2623 is for a bad ipr valve (this will give hard starting), as well as the P2290, and P2291. The P0528, and P0480 when together are usually from a failed fan clutch. The P0341 is from a bad cam position sensor. Now, the P0611 is for an internally failed injection control module, but the P1378 indicates that the battery voltage is low supplying the module, this is most likely caused by you cranking until the batteries were low. So, inspect the fan clutch, if the wiring in the front center of it is not cut, then I would replace the fan clutch. Add an algae additive to the tank and see what happens instead of replacing the sending unit at this time. Replace the ipr valve and the #3 injector and the cam position sensor. This is where I would start with the information you have provided to me. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how hard is it to replace the cam position sensor
The cam sensor is located behind the power steering pump and is replaced from under the truck. It is not hard, just aggravating to get to. You don't have to take anything else off to get to it though.Here is a picture of its location, down on the lower driver side front corner. Thanksgraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any other things to try if this doesnt work? You have been very helppful.
From the codes you have, This should get things fixed up. Thanks