Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunctio

P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Can you give me year, model and engine size of this Ford?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my 1998 ford exped with a 5.4 liter is stumbling. i get the code PO354. what can be done or replaced?

The P0354 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a fault in the Ignition Coil for cylinder #4. A faulty coil will also produce the stumbling you are describing. Replacing the coil should solve the problem. It's the coil closest to the firewall, on the passenger's side of the engine. It's a bit of a tight spot, but with an extension and a swivel, you can do it.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why does the code read "coil D" instead of # XXXXX coil. I do not understand the letter system. please tell me more.

It's just the way Ford designed it. I don't make the rules... i just follow them like everyone else! God only knows why these designers do some of the things they do....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are other cylinders named A ,B C, E and so on ?

Yes. A=1, B=2, C=3... etc...