Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Taurus, car stops, theft light on dashboard

Customer Question
car stops running theft light...
car stops running theft light on dashboard blinks and stays on.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
11/27/2010
Ford Mechanic: Dr.carz, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Dr.carz
Dr.carz, ASE Certified Technician
Dr.carz :

hello

Dr.carz :

does the theft light flash rapidally?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

good morning

Dr.carz :

a bit chilly morning but good

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

yes

Dr.carz :

yes the light flashes rapidally

Dr.carz :

how many keys do you have for the car?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

yes, all time in park and intermittent and call stalls out

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

we have one key

Dr.carz :

has the light always flashed and the engine still runs?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

it started out that way.

Dr.carz :

when the theft light flashes rapidally it should be disabling the system and car should not even crank over. is the car somewhat new to you?

Dr.carz :

says you are typing are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

yes it was my daughter in laws prior. my wife drives it now and she was on her way to work when this all happened. it flashes in park and you start to drive it's ok a few seconds the light comes on and cuts the power down and goes back up to speed.

Dr.carz :

is there a remote start installed?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

no.

Dr.carz :

.the key itself looks ok in the end is the chip will be a blank hole if missing

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

the key looks ok no hole nothing missing. since it's the original key could the chip be going bad?

Dr.carz :

no never seen a chip gone bad

Dr.carz :

the reciever is the black ring around the key tumbler once the steering wheel trim is removed by removing the three screws from bottom of trim its noticable to see wire damage or tampering.also give you a chance to see if a remote start or alarm system has been installed.i have seen many cars with remote start and alarms that cutomers bought used and never knew that this equiptment was there

Dr.carz :

any other lights coming on at this time?

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

when my wife gets in the the theft light is blinking, she starts the car the theft light stops blinking goes into drive and starts going the light flashes and it cuts out the power for a few seconds and continues to run again. no other lights come on

Dr.carz :

blinking is normal but a rapid flash is not when the light goes out it sees the key. I have seen people remove the ring and place a key inside of it in order to get the remote start to work without buying a transponder module and the taped up key comes loose and causes these issues. sorry for going back to something you do not have to your knowledge but by laying on the floor and looking up under steeing column just to make sure everything looks factory would help a lot.

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

Well the issue is the car is at my wife's place of employment and I'm at home.

Dr.carz :

ahh that sucks but never fails

JACUSTOMER-cse6vsju- :

I guess if she could get it home tonight I could look at all that, i leave for work in an hour go figure.

Dr.carz :

im looking into the wiring diagrams and with no other lights or issues i would have to say that the problem is isolated the the anti-theft system.with that being said there is no way to bypass or trick the system so get the car back and remove some trim in the steering wheel and knee area and get back to me sorry for your luck. good luck and keep me posted.

Dr.carz :

please accept if ive helped and feel free for further input as always

ill wait to hear back from you

Dr.carz
Dr.carz
Dr.carz, ASE Certified Technician