Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

replace the fuel pump on a 2003 lincoln signature town car?

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2010
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

you will need to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump:

1. isable the air suspension, if equipped.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable and relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Siphon or pump as much fuel as possible out through the fuel filler pipe.

NOTE
Fuel injected vehicles have reservoirs inside the fuel tank to maintain fuel near the fuel pickup during cornering and under low fuel operating conditions. These reservoirs could block siphon tubes or hoses from reaching the bottom of the fuel tank. Repeated attempts using different hose orientations can overcome this obstacle.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. If equipped with a metal retainer that fastens the filler pipe to the fuel tank, remove the screw attaching the retainer to the fuel tank flange.
  3. Detach the fuel lines and the electrical connector to the fuel tank sending unit. On some vehicles, these are inaccessible on top of the tank. In these cases they must be disconnected with the tank partially removed.
  4. Place a safety support under the fuel tank and remove the bolts or nuts from the fuel tank straps. Allow the straps to swing out of the way.
  5. Partially remove the tank and detach the fuel lines and electrical connector from the sending unit, if not detached previously.
  6. Remove the tank from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Raise the fuel tank into position in the vehicle. Connect the fuel lines and sending unit electrical connector if it is necessary to connect them before the tank is in the final installed position.
  2. Lubricate the fuel filler pipe with water base tire mounting lubricant and install the tank onto the filler pipe, then bring the tank into final position. Be careful not to deform the tank.
  3. Bring the fuel tank straps around the tank and start the retaining nut or bolt. Align the tank with the straps. If equipped, make sure the fuel tank shields are installed with the straps and are positioned correctly on the tank.
  4. Check the hoses and wiring mounted on the tank top to make sure they are correctly routed and will not be pinched between the tank and body.
  5. Tighten the fuel tank strap retaining nuts or bolts to 20-30 ft. lbs. (28-40 Nm).
  6. If not already connected, connect the fuel hoses and lines which were detached. Make sure the fuel supply, fuel return, if present, and vapor vent connections are made correctly. If not already connected, connect the sending unit electrical connector.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Replace the fuel that was drained from the tank.
  9. Check all connections for leaks.

10. Remove or disconnect the following:

Fuel supply and return line fittings at the fuel pump using fuel line disconnect tools
    Fuel pump module electrical connector
    6 retaining bolts around the perimeter of the fuel pump module
    Fuel pump module and seal from the fuel tank

To install:

1. Clean the fuel pump module mounting flange and fuel tank mounting surface.
  2. Install or connect the following:

New seal and the fuel pump module using care not to damage the inlet filter and fuel sending unit float arm
    6 retaining bolts and tighten to 80-107 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Tighten the fuel pump mounting bolts to 80-107 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm)

Fuel pump module electrical connector
    Fuel supply and return lines to the fuel pump module. Pull on the fuel line fittings to verify engagement.

3. Add a minimum of 10 gallons (38L) of clean fuel to the fuel tank and check for leaks.
  4. Install a Fuel pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the fuel injection supply manifold.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF to ON position 5-10 times for 3 second intervals or until the fuel pressure gauge shows at least 35 psi (241 kPa).
  7. Check for fuel leaks.
  8. Remove the fuel pressure gauge.
  9. Start the engine and recheck for fuel leaks.
  10. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.
what should it cost to have the dealership replace the fuel pump

Labor is 2.5hrs to replace, and the pump is around $400-450, so depending upon the dealer's hourly labor rate, you will be looking at between $575-700 parts and labor to replace it.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager