Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My trailer turn/stop lights aren't working (2002 F-350). The

Customer Question
fuse is good, is the...
My trailer turn/stop lights aren't working (2002 F-350). The fuse is good, is the relay the next suspect? Where is it located?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

If fuse 6 is good then you need to check the relays. A relay needs 3 inputs. One is signal in from the turn signal switch which will be a pulsing signal with the turn signals used and continuous signal with the brakes on. The next signal is a ground to the solenoid side of the relay. The next signal is the fuse power. If all of these are good including the relay then the output the last pin should show power.

graphic

Chris - thanks - that's good info but my question still is where are the relays located? I bought two new ones at the Ford dealer but they couldn't tell me where they are located on my truck. They said to look for a box somewhere in the engine compartment, and I did, but I'm not finding it.

Oh ok it is going to be under the hood to the left of the brake master cylinder if viewing from the drivers seat.

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Thanks Chris - I'll look again when I get a chance. I had looked around that area but didn't see a box - maybe I missed it.

Marty

Your welcome

Hi Chris - I located the box with the relays in it - not what I expected it to look like. There are actually two small boxes side by side right there with two relays in one & three in the other (the one you sent me a picture of). Unfortunately, I'm thinking the Ford dealer sold me the relays that go in the other box, and the ones I really need are the two smaller ones that show in your picture of box 4. Do you know what the two relays in the other box operate? Could you send the diagram of that box like the one you sent me for box 4? Thanks

Marty

There are 3 boxes there. The one I showed you and another containing the 4x4 relays and another containing the daytime running light relays.
I didn't see the third box, just the two that are side by side. I can see from the diagram you sent me that the two smaller relays are the ones I need, not the larger ones that the parts dept sold me. I'll exchange them tomorrow & see if that cures it. Thanks again
Your welcome

Chris - I changed the two relays today - still no voltage back to the trailer plug. Rechecked fuse 6, even put a new one in there. I know the tester works (a multimeter) - the pin for running lamps has voltage - but no stop, turn or flashers. What should I try next?

Marty

Do you have the 3 inputs to the relays I spoke about?

Do the relays click on and off when the turn signals are commanded?

The relays do click on and off when turn signals are commanded. I have stop & turn input coming in to spade 1 of the relay. I have a ground opposite that on spade 3. I do not have fuse power coming in even though I see power to fuse #6, and the fuse is good (continuity checks out). What would I look at next to see where the fuse power went?

Two other observations while under the hood:

1) When the brake pedal is depressed the alternator buzzes.

2) The AC clutch kicks in & out with the heater on - I thought it would only do that in the defrost setting.

Are those both normal / unrelated?

The other concerns are not related to the turn signals.

You need to check for power from fuse 6 on connector 134 pin 12.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Hi Chris, Where is connector 134 located? I see 5 connectors directly under the master cylinder, but the diagram you sent shows only 4. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

The connection is going to be at the floor board on the drivers side, according to the diagram.

Not finding anything there. I pulled off a plastic kick panel right at floor level by my left foot - there's a big group of wiring heading rearward, but no connector. Above that is the parking brake & what looks like the computer box. Above that & I'm behind the fuse panel, lower dash.

Under the hood I see a group of 5 connectors fastened as a strip to the inner fender. Behind the relay boxes are 2 more connectors. None of them really look like the diagram. Any way I can send you pictures?

If you cant find it then you need to move up to the fuse panel and test it there.

graphicgraphicgraphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician