Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford escape: has codes po 353, 1000, 1131, 1137, 1151, 1157, and 1780

Ford escape has codes po...
Ford escape has codes po 353, 1000, 1131, 1137, 1151, 1157, and 1780. Any idea how to fix the problems?
11/24/2010
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello!

Did you still need help?

How does the engine run? How does it idle and accelerate?

If you were to clear the codes, which one would come back first?

It runs like it is miss firing, also does not shift right at normal speeds.The rpms will increase, but the speed don't match. At an idle, the car vibrates, and the check engine light comes on. when first started, it runs normal for a few seconds, then starts missing.
The first codes are po353, and 1000
What year escape do you have?
2001 escape with 3.0 auto 4x4

And you replaced the number 3 cylinder ignition coil pack? Are you sure it was the number 3 cylinder coil that got replaced?

If so, does this coil pack have power to it when the engine is misfiring?

Each pack causes the car to act up when unpluged, so they have to have power. at the front of the motor is packs 1, 3 and 5. each of these packs have been tested with a new pack replaced. pack 3 was replaced with pack 5 and pack 5 now holds pack 3 coil pack. all plugs wave been replaced. The original packs frome 1,3, and 5 were switched with 2, 4, and 6. The same reading still shows.

If 3 is misfiring, could it be possibly the ground connection?

Also, there has been no voltage check to pack 3. just the unplug and see how it effects the car running, which is does.

SO your saying that the the engine still misfires on number 3 cylinder even after that coil pack was replaced?

Or are you saying that if you disconnect number three coil pack, the engines idle drops because the engine starts misfiring?

when it is disconnected, it starts misfiring bad, when pluged back up, it runs better, but still has a small miss to it. this is even with the new pack on 3, or another pack on 3
SO the misfire is still on number 3 cylinder... or are you thinking it is on a different cylinder?

As for this code, there are only three things that can set this code.

A bad COP, a bad wire/connection or defective COP driver in the Powertrain Control Module. IT is as simple as that.

Verify that the ignition is maintaining FULL battery voltage on the White/Violet wire with the engine running.

IF so and this code continues to set, then run a new wire from pin 78 of the PCM Orange/Yellow (O/Y) to COP #3 and retest.

Potential Causes:

Coil On Plug

Defective Powertrain Control Module Driver
Wiring Harness

Are you saying run a wire from pin 78 of the PCM orange and yellow to the cop#3 white and violet? or to the orange and white on the COP?

Sorry for the delay!

NO... only if this code keeps appearing or if this coil is not firing due to a signal from the PCM, then run a wire from pin 78 of the pcm to the ignition coil number three.

The white/violet is only power to the ignition coil. THis needs to be checked first. The pcm wire cannot be shorted to power to at at the ignition coil.

Looks like the powertrain control module is the problem. From the way it looks, it has been replaced in the past along with the #3 coil pack. Thanks for the help on the matter, it enabled me to pinpoint the trouble without leaving possible maybes in the process. Thanks again.

You bet!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN