Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford Escape Limited whenever I pump gas into my 2010 ford

whenever I pump gas into my 2010 ford escape the pump starts and stops like the tank is full. what can be the problem? Every couple of seconds while pumping gas, the pump will go click and stop pumping the fuel. I have tried moving the nozzle within the tank to different directions, as well as moving the neck of the nozzle up and down. Even slowing the rate of fuel does not help. I have had this problem since took delivery of the car in Sept. and no matter what gas I use or which station. Thanks for your help.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The msot common cause of the problem you are having is due to debris that may be in ther fuel, filler neck usually caused by spider webs or other insects, or even a stuck or plugged vent line will do the same thing.

Some 2005-2010 Escape, Escape Hybrid, Mariner and 2006-2010 Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a slow fuel fill concern or a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0451 present. The condition may be caused by water/moisture or other contamination entering the fuel filler vent line and then freezing and/or causing a blockage.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition by relocating the fuel filler vent line.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When performing this procedure it is not necessary to:

• Drain any fuel from the tank
  • Remove the stone shield from the filler pipe
  • Disconnect the filler pipe from the fuel tank

NOTE:ANY WATER/MOISTURE OR OBSTRUCTIONS IN THE EVAPORATIVE VENT SYSTEM MUST BE REMOVED.

1. With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist.
  2. Remove the left rear wheel.
  3. Remove the fuel filler cap.
  4. Remove the two (2) upper filler pipe mounting screws.
  5. Remove the single lower filler pipe mounting screw.
  6. Carefully pull the upper end of the filler pipe away from the inner wheel well to gain access to the vent line.
  7. Cut any tape or plastic straps holding the black plastic convoluted vent line to the filler pipe or underbody.
  8. Pull the black plastic convoluted vent line underneath the vehicle.
  9. Remove the vent line from the dust separator attached to the canister assembly and clear out the line using compressed air.
  10. Inspect the dust separator for water/moisture or any obstruction. If water/moisture or obstructions are present follow Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 310-00 pinpoint test A. If no water/moisture or obstructions are present reattach vent line to dust separator and continue to next step.
  11. Remove but do not discard the spider screen (vent cap) from the end of the vent line.
  12. Measuring from the open end of the vent line, cut off and discard the last 13" (35 cm).
  13. Reinstall the spider screen (vent cap) in the vent line.
  14. Route the shortened vent line and spider screen (vent cap) as shown
  15. graphic
  16. Push the spider screen (vent cap) at least 2" (50 mm) into the open subframe and body section alignment hole.
  17. Secure the vent line to the fuel tank strap with a plastic tie strap.
  18. Reposition the filler pipe into its original position.
  19. Install the lower filler pipe mounting screw and tighten to 89 lb-in (10 N-m).
  20. Install the two (2) upper filler pipe mounting screws and tighten to 27 lb-in (3 N-m).
  21. Install the fuel filler cap.
  22. Reinstall the wheel and tighten to 98 lb-ft (133 N-m).
  23. Lower the vehicle from the hoist.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Edited by Shawn on 11/21/2010 at 4:50 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear shawn, thanks for your prompt response, however, if I go pump gas in my other car a toyota, I never have this problem. The car does not have fuel cap, since it has a fueless cap. Could this cause the problem? What can I do to correct this problem?
HiCustomer

Thank you for the response, and you are very welcome, due to the age of the vehicle I would bring it to the dealer for a possible warranty issue as well, seems to new to be having this problem.

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

• Drain any fuel from the tank

2. Remove the left rear wheel.
  3. Remove the fuel filler cap.
  15. graphic
    View Full Image

21. Install the fuel filler cap.
  23. Lower the vehicle from the hoist.