CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

2002 ford escape: Replacing the front right drive axle..shaft

How to separate intermediate drive axle from 2002 ford escape? Replacing the front right drive axle, when it came out -- its connected to the intermediate shaft still and won't release.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

There is a clip holding the axle to the intermediate shaft. You need to put the intermediate shaft in a vise and hammer the axle out of the shaft. It is held in pretty tight so don't be afraid to hit it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Understood - So there is no other way to get the clip to release short of force ?

I'll do as you say and put in a vice, and use a sledge or such to hammer it apart.

Do I need to get a new "clip" for when I re-assemble the shaft + drive axle with new parts ?

The new drive axle does not appear to have a clip inside it - but I can see the groove where it would sit.
The intermediate shaft has teh clip on it and will stay on after you pound the axle off. You do not need to replace teh clip after removing the axle.