Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford Escort Need help changing fuel filter on a 2001 ford

Need help changing fuel filter on a 2001 ford escort sedan, 2.0 L. I can see the filter on the fire wall, but how do I get to it? It's not easy to reach. Remove battery and battery tray? lift the car onto jack stands?

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I am sending you fuel filter replacement instructions in pdf format, (just click on the link below). Hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But how do I get to the filter? I cannot get my hands on the fuel filter at all, due to the other components in the way. I read the same thing in my haynes manual.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The lower fuel line clip can accessed from underneath the vehicle.

-Have you removed the battery and tray?

-What else have you already tried?

Fuel System Pressure Release

1. WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or an open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

2. WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running.

3. WARNING: Before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved.

Remove the engine compartment fuse panel cover.
  4. Remove the fuel pump fuse.

graphic

1. Start the engine and let it run until it stalls.
  2. Crank the engine over two more times to remove all fuel pressure.
  3. Turn ignition to the off position and install the fuel pump fuse.
  4. Install the engine compartment fuse panel cover.

Edited by Shawn on 11/4/2010 at 5:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What i've tried: I tried removing the battery tray last night, found a rusted bolt that is stuck (rusted and stripped). Will try again tonight with a bolt extractor.

This is what you're telling me:

1) access the lower fuel line from underneath the car

2) access the upper fuel line after removing the battery and battery tray.

Correct?

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply,

Yes, that is correct. I understand this is very frustrating, so much work for such a small repair, I would also recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt, or long gloves (to save your skin from scrapes and cuts reaching in there to grab that filter).

Make sure the fuel pressure is relieved as well before removal, (refer to instructions in previous post).