Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Ford Taurus: overheating..antifreeze..the check engine light came…

Customer Question
I have 1 1999 Ford...
I have 1 1999 Ford Taurus that was overheating. The antifreeze was empty and I filled it.
As I begin to drive again the check engine light came on. I did a diagnostic and it told me
the engine misfired on cylinder one. I reset the computer and drove it again. The check
engine lisght came on again and the engine was smoking. What is wrong.

Carolann Baraw
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
10/31/2010
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician

connor75 :

Good afternoon, is the car running rough at all? How much smoke and what color was it? Thanks with these answers we can try and get to the bottom of your concern.

JACUSTOMER-g4unj9sp- :

yes. Uncle Buck smoke, white.

connor75 :

Uncle buck smoke is really not good, unless you are John Candy that is. Seriously though, white soke and lots of it is pretty surely a blown head gasket, this could very well be the reason for the number one misfire as well, if the head gasket is blown at the number one cylinder then the coolant getting into the number one cylinder will foul that spark plug and cause a misfire.

connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician