Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Ford taurus: dohc..000 miles..Once engine warms..high idles..iac…

Customer Question
2002 Ford Taurus DOHC 115,000...
2002 Ford Taurus DOHC 115,000 miles. Once engine warms up it high idles at about 1800 RPM. Unplugging the IAC brings the idle back down. Last night it lit the ABS light and Brake light, the throttle became sluggish, and once shut off would not restart until it cooled down. After cool down started fine with no more ABS or brake lights and then began the high idle once it warmed up. TPS, IAC, EGR, TPS, and MAF all check ok. No codes set or pending until the IAC is unplugged. Alternator and battery are good. PCM relay replaced.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Ford
10/30/2010
Ford Mechanic: connor75, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician

connor75 :

Good evening, unplugging the Iac should cause the car to stall immediately, the fact that it doesn't tells me that the valve is stuck open, which is probably causing the high idle. Have you inspected the rubber parts of the pcv system, elbows and connections?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Yes, new IAC etc. No vaccum leaks I can find. Did have to recently replace the PCV valve. The odd part to me is that the high idle only starts when the car is warmed up. I have repeated this several times.

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Unplugging the IAC drops the idle and plugging it back in will bring it back up so I think it's functioning mechanically.

connor75 :

So there is a new Iac on the vehicle?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

In fact new IAC, EGR, and TPS just to be sure.

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Thought maybe alternator issue when the ABS light set but it tests ok when the problem is occuring.

connor75 :

The test in the book for high idle has you disconnect the plug on the iac and if it does not stall, then replace the valve, where did you get the valve from, do you have a scanner, and can you read long and short fuel trims on it?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

I have a scanner but unable to do fuel trim. IAC is from O'reilly Auto.

connor75 :

has any one tampered with the throttle stops?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Yes, but I can adjust that.

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

When I cleaned the TB the plate was not completely closed.

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

I think I set the at rest resistance at 1000 ohms on the new TPS using the throttle plate but I don't recall what scale I was on. Just went to what seemed to make sense at the time and this issue started later. I probably screwed it up.

connor75 :

What voltage is the tps at idle?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Have to get back with you on that. The car is two hours away with my son. What should I see for voltage at idle?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Any insight about lighting the ABS light?

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

Could that indicated a PCM faillure by setting a false light?

connor75 :

Without a code, its merely a guess, but the fact that both lights ( red brake and amber abs) I'd lean towards the fluid level sensor. As for the voltage I would say 1.0 volts is idle.

JACUSTOMER-89g078hi- :

I appreciate the help. I'll fiddle with it some more when I get the chance. This is my first time on this site so hopefully this isn't inappropriate. If you get the chance would you mind giving me a call at(NNN) NNN-NNNNsome time this weekend? I would like to get just a few minutes speaking directly to you if possible. I can talk much better than I can type. If you're uncomfortable with that I understand. I am going to accept your answer either way. Thanks. Dean.

connor75
connor75, ASE Certified Technician