RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

ford: sport trac..steady..jumped..starter.Do nt hear fuel pump either

02 ford sporttrac with antitheft light steady flashing and no crank all checks good and will not crank if jumped at starter.Don't hear fuel pump either.
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 6 years ago.

RJ :

Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer. Do you have more than one ignition key that has been used to start the vehicle ?

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

yes.niether will crank it.

RJ :

You could have a failed receiver for the anti theft system, however if the engine computer is offline this could also cause this concern. In order to diagnose the antitheft system you will need a scanner to determine which part of the system is at fault. Once the codes are retreived than a diagnostic path can be determined. GIve me just a minute and i will look up the fuses for the engine computer so you can verify these are intact, if they are ok then you will need to have a diag performed with a scanner. BRB with that info.

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

have these models had a problem with wiring in the column,and does the multifunction switch intercept the start system in anyway?

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

all the fuses have been checked and double checked and they're all good.

RJ :

Fuse 19 under the dash, fuse 10 under dash if build date is later then 2/18/02 and also fuse 7 under the hood. I have not seen any major wiring issues in the column and the multifuction switch has no effect on the the anti theft system.

RJ :

Verify the listed fuses have voltage with the ingition on. Aside from that your back to having the system scanned to retreive the codes.

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

this one has the fuses located in left side of dash,not under,but all check good.

RJ :

Sure i am refering to the fuse panel on the side of the dash , and then there is also one under the hood.

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

yeah,I even moved all relays around to see if problem moved and nothing changed,I have relay action from key switch

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

what should I expect to pay for a module and to reprogram the system?

RJ :

I have seen the computer loose the memory for the keys, this requires the keys be reprogrammed to the computer. Regardless at this point the electronics must be tested. If the receiver has failed it would cost around 80-120 dollars for the part and roughly 1-2 hours labor. If the keys just need programed most dealers charge around 60-100 dollars to reprogram, and testing would also be around 60-100 dollars. Keep in mind not all local aftermarket repair facilities have the equipment to test or program this particular system so if you elect on a aftermarket facility over a dealer you may end up with more diag fees as well as towing to more than one shop . So you may not save money with the cheaper labor rates at a aftermarket facility.

JACUSTOMER-4aui2ok1- :

I was suspect of the theft module but wanted to make sure wasn't missing something,have heard of both keys no longer reading ,also have been hearing alot of overcharging,Thanks for the verifications.

RJ :

I dont know exactly the reason why, but certainly have seen a few that just loose the key info in the computer and just require programing. Wish i could help a bit more but without having the scanner info this is just as far as we can go. I am glad i was able to help you verify your thoughts.