J EARL
J EARL, Ford Technician
Experience:  17 YEARS OF FORD DEALERSHIP SERVICE FORD SENIOR MASTER ASE L1 DRIVABILTY TECH
45160428

2002 ford taurus ses 24v dohc obdII p0191 Just changed the

Customer Question

2002 ford taurus ses 24v dohc obdII p0191
Just changed the fuel injection pressure sensor regulator and no change. I have a basic obdII scan tool that I use to diagnose problems. Found a lot of people with this problem but no specific solution or what has ultimately worked to fix the problem. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
HI MY NAME ISXXXXX HELP YOU TODAY CAN YOU SEND ME THE VIN PLEASE THANKS JEFF
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
vin# XXXXX: 1FAFP55S72G211337. I know there was a TSB on my style of car and I called the dealer and they stated that my particular VIN was fine. Not sure if I trust them.
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
OK HOLD ON LET ME CHECK
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.

I SEE YOU ALREADY CHANGED THE FPR AND FORD TELLS ME THE NEXT STEP IS TO REPROGRAM THE PCM HERES THE MESSAGE

16057 2002 TAURUS/SABLE 4V WITH DTC P0191 IN MEMORY - REPROGRAM PCM
SOME 2002 TAURUS/SABLE EQUIPPED WITH A 3.0L 4V ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATION WITH A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0191 (FUEL RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE) IN MEMORY. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) CALIBRATION. IF NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS DO NOT TO REVEAL A ROOT CAUSE, RE-PROGRAM THE PCM TO THE LATEST CALIBRATION USING WDS VERSION (B20.1) OR LATER. OLD PCM# XXXXX NEW PCM# XXXXX OLD PCM# XXXXX NEW PCM# XXXXX

THE FORD DEALER SHOULD ONLY CHARGE YOU ABOUT $50 FOR THIS REPAIR I WOULD NOT DUE ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL THIS IS DONE HOPE THIS HELPS JEFF IF IT DOES PLEASE HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON IF NOT JUST ASK MORE QUESTIONS THANKS JEFF

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have just replaced the fuel pump as it failed and fuel filter. I bought the car for speculation and it sat for 1 year. I thoroghly cleaned the tank as the fuel had seperated (spent 2 hours cleaning it). No debri left in the tank when done. Replaced the alternator and mega fuse was blown (probably from the alternator) Probably not related at all but want to give you as much info as possible. I have done a fair amount of mechanical work and sometimes the most random things happen when performing an unrelated task.

I will call the dealer and schedule a reprogram if they think that will help.
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
THEY CAN SEE THE SAME MESSAGE I SENT YOU I WOULD DO THIS FIRST JEFF
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.

THE OTHER THINGS YOU DID SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GENERATE THIS CODE

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I called and spoke with the parts department and he ran my VIN for TSB's and he found nothing. I read the bit on the TSB for this CEL on other sites. I suppose it is still possible to have a problem but I would think if the corrected PCM was installed prior to it leaving the assembly line there wouldn't be a problem. The way I understand it is it needs reprogramed, but it should have the correct one installed if the VIN didn't pull a TSB.

Did you find a TSB on MY VIN?
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
ITS NOT A TSB THAT I SENT YOU ITS A SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE THERE IN TWO DIFFERNT SECTIONS OF THE WEB SIGHT AFTER A CAR IS RELEASE FROM THE FACTORY THERE ARE PROBLEMS THAT ARRISE IN THE FEILD FORD USES REPROGRAMING TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
TELL THEM TO GIVE YOU INFORMATION ON SSM 16057
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If there is a TSB is this the same as a RECALL???

If I understand you correctly this still could solve my problem and I am aware that a certain number of cars must be affected for the MFG to be required to offer a free solution through a recall.

SO, to answer with a YES or NO you beleive this could solve my problem?

If it does I will be accepting your answer. I appreciate your insight up until this point.

Thanks
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
YES THIS IS WHAT FORD SAYS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM A SSM IS A RELEASE THAT AFFECTS A NUMBER OF CARS IN A CERTAIN AREA A TSB IS A SERVICE BULITON ALSO NOT COVERED BY WARRENTY THAT AFFECTS ALL SINGLE MODLE YEAR CARS OF A TYPE A RECALL IS USUALL A DEFECT IN A CAR THAT IS SAFTY RELATED AND WILL BE COVERED UNDER WARRENTY JEFF
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
DOES THIS HELP YOU ANY?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can this be an intermitent problem? It started doing it after I had driven it a while 20 miles before it would do it. Now seems all the time. Pretty good bucking if I try and get it to shift over 2500 rpms automatic of course. If I keep a very low throttle level then it is not as noticable, but if I get on it at all it bogs a lot.
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
yes it can be intermittent and worse when hot
Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
how did you make out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought about if for a while and decided to check the fuel filter again. It was full of orange gas and sediment. I realized that the tank probably still had debri from the old gas. Took the tank out yesterday and it was bad again. The bad gas deposited both on the bottom, which I could see and top of tank. I spent 2 hours cleaning it last time thinking that was good enough. NOT! I used POR15 cleaner and spent 5 hours MORE! cleaning it put ANOTHER NEW fuel filter in and problem solved. How do I get my money back if I solved my own problem.

Expert:  J EARL replied 6 years ago.
SORRY I WAS NOT ABLE TO HELP THERE SHOULD BE A LINK ON THE HOME PAGE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You had good ideas and I did learn something, but I have spent so much getting this car ready for sale I can't afford any additional cost.