Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

2000 ford escort: /with an auto trans..bypass the transponder key

I have a 2000 ford escort/with an auto trans. Lost key, is there a replacement ignition or system that allows me to bypass the transponder key. I do not want to pay 400.00 for a key.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 6 years ago.

transman :

disabling the transponder will mean disabling the network.

transman :

it will be best and shipper to replace the key then to have to replace the code and the transponder.

Customer :

So, I am at the mercy of the dealer (Ford..or the locksmith) I also heard that the switch is badly made and they always have problems.

transmen :

correct, but the dealer has upgrated the transponder and is much better now, sorry to give you the bad news but is the only way.

Customer :

What do you do if that was the only key. I assume that a regular key will not work

transmen :

bypassing will mean replasinfg the pcm ,body computer and transponder to a basic ignition system and this can get very expensive.

transmen :

no is you install a regular key the pcm and the body computers will lock the start mode and cause worst problems then.

Customer :

Okay that was a good answer I will hit the accept button. Thank you. I think old school was a lot better in many ways.

Customer :

Also, is every car part now made in China.

transmen :

you bet, i belive on my old times better.also, i miss does times . thank you.