Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2006 Focus: fault codes..PO..the secondary air injection system what

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Focus...
I have a 2006 Focus that i am getting fault codes PO-410 and PO-491 indicating a problem with the secondary air injection system what is the probable cause and what would the location of the defective valve be.

Curt
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Ford
10/3/2010
Ford Mechanic: Chuck, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Chuck :

The code P0410 is lack of air flow with the secondary air pump on,suspect cause is leak in air hose or hose disconnected.

Chuck :

P0491 is the air system detected that there was insufficent mass air flow change during pump swithching on and off.

Chuck :

possible causes: no flow from secondary air pump, secondary air bypass solenoid leaking or stuck open,air diverter valve leaking,blocked, or stuck open.

Chuck :

secondary vacuum hose leaking

Chuck :

secondary air hose restricted

Chuck :

Here is a pic of the system

Chuck :

ItemPart NumberDescription
19S477Secondary air injection (AIR) pump outlet hose
29B458AIR pump inlet hose
314A464AIR pump electrical connector
4W500215AIR pump mounting bolt (2 required)
59A486AIR pump
69E499AIR valve vacuum connector
79H477AIR valve inlet hose clamp
89B459AIR valve inlet hose
9W525857AIR valve outlet hose clamp
109B466AIR valve outlet hose
11W500204AIR valve mounting bolts (2 required)
129F491AIR valve
Chuck :

During self test the pump will be energized.Make sure you have vacuum to it then disconnect the outlet hose and see if you get air flow

Chuck :

Then work your way back to the air valve

Chuck :

I would suggest to put your hand first on the air diverter valve, see the black on left side of pic. You should feel it cycle on during key on engine running self test.If it doesn't then hook a test light in between the connector and see if it lights during self test.This should pin point the vlave.

Chuck :

You can disconnect the hose on the air pump and you should feel it pumping air during key on engine running self test

Chuck :

I aid diveter valve but the solenoid that the vacuum line hooks to

Chuck :

said

Chuck :

did that make sense?

Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Chuck
Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician